STORRS, Conn. - The Merrimack Men's Hockey team scored six times and Alex Jefferies picked up the hat trick as the Warriors stormed to a 6-3 win over the University of Connecticut on Friday night.
Merrimack (4-4-2, 2-2-0): 6, University of Connecticut (4-6-1, 2-3-0): 3
The Warriors took the early 1-0 lead as Alex Jefferies snapped home a wrist shot just over the blue line. Connecticut would tie the game six minutes later and take the lead late in the first period.
In the second period, slick passing from Jefferies and Matt Copponi would find Zach Bookman wide open who would fire the sht in to tie the game just past the games halfway point. Alex Jefferies would strike again two minutes later to put Merrimack back in front. The second period would see more action still as the Huskies would tie the game again on a rebound from in tight. Merrimack however, would put themselves back in position for the three points as Fillip Formark cahsed in with two seconds to play in the second on the powerplay to make the score 4-3.
After a five minute major was assessed to Connecticut, Alex Jefferies would complete his hat trick with 3:41 to play and Mark Gallant would put the cap on the game with a solid net drive and finish with 31 seconds to play.
Notes and Numbers
- Alex Jefferies scored a hat trick and also had two assists to complete a five point night.
- Zach Bookman also had five points with a goal and four assists, making it six straight games with at least one point.
- Matt Copponi had three assists and continues his points streak making it seven in a row.
- Mark Hiller and Ethan Bono had one assist each.
- Filip Forsmark and Mark Gallant had the other goals for the Warriors.
- The Warriors were not penalized in the game, their first game without an infraction since March 10th 2018.
Merrimack will host the University of Connecticut Huskies for the second half the back to back tomorrow night at Lawler Arena. Puck drop is set for 7 PM.