DURHAM, N.H. - The No.13 Providence College women's hockey team skated to a 7-4 win over the University of New Hampshire, on Friday, Jan. 27 at the Whittemore Center in Durham, New Hampshire. Sara Hjalmarsson secured her fourth career hat trick.
Providence - 7 | New Hampshire - 4
Providence - 18-8-3 (13-6-3 HEAW) | New Hampshire - 9-18-0 (7-13-0 HEAW)
Whittemore Center | Durham, N.H.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars struck first 3:59 into the first period when Noemi Neubauerova (Prague, Czech Republic) netted a goal with help from Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.).
- New Hampshire tied it up, 1-1, with a goal by Brooke Hammer at the 9:32 mark of the first period. Chavonne Truter and Tamara Thierus assisted the goal.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) scored a goal at the 9:48 mark of the second period to give the Friars a 2-1 lead. Neubauerova and Peterson were each credited with an assist.
- Neubauerova secured her second goal of the night 14:53 into the second period. Brooke Becker (Orchard Park, N.Y.) and Hjalmarsson assisted on the goal.
- The Friars carried a 3-1 lead into the final intermission.
- Mégane Quirion (Saint-Eustache, Quebec) kicked off an action-packed third period with her first career goal three minutes into play. Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario) and KC Brooks (Colorado Springs, Colo.) each earned an assist.
- At the 9:44 mark Hjalmarsson scored on a power play, 5-1, with help from Becker and Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine).
- Five minutes later Ida Press (Uppsala, Sweden) converted on another power play to bring the Friars up 6-1. DeBlois and Hjalmarsson assisted the goal.
- New Hampshire returned at 17:08 with a power play goal, 6-2, scored by Brianna Brooks.
- Chavonne Truter scored the Wildcats' third goal at 17:29 with help from Brooke Hammer and Tamara Thierus.
- Tamara Thierus converted on a power play at 18:26 to bring the Wildcats within two of the Friars. Chavonne Thierus assisted the goal.
- With five seconds remaining in regulation, Hjalmarsson secured a hat trick and a 7-4 win for the Friars with an empty net goal. Reichen Kirchmair (Oakville, Ontario) was credited with the assist.
- Hjalmarsson has tallied four career hat tricks.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) finished the night with 16 saves.
Power plays: 2/5
Penalty Kill: 3/4
New Hampshire -
Power plays: 1/4
Penalty Kill: 3/5
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Hjalmarsson (10)
Goals: Hjalmarsson (3)
Assists: DeBlois, Becker, Hjalmarsson, Peterson (2)
Points: Hjalmarsson (5)
The Friars will travel to Auburn, Maine on Saturday, Jan. 28 to face off against the University of Maine at 6:00 p.m.