STORRS, Conn. - Captain Aidan McDonough tallied two goals to help propel the Northeastern Huskies to a 4-3 victory over the UConn Huskies on Saturday evening.
- After taking a 1-0 lead to close out the first period, UConn added a second tally at the 8:42 mark in the second frame for a 2-0 advantage.
- Just past the halfway marker of the night, the Huskies would make it a one-goal game. On a forced turnover in the defensive end, Jayden Struble created a rush for Liam Walsh. Finding an open lane, Walsh connected with Jakov Novak for a backside snipe and the Huskies' first of the night.
- The Huskies would go on to score three unanswered goals in the third period to take the lead and eventual win. At the 12:53 mark, Sam Colangelo battled the puck loose along the boards to Justin Hryckowian who found McDonough for a shot from the opposite circle to tie the game 2-2.
- Less than three minutes later, McDonough picked up his second of the evening to give the Huskies the lead, 3-2, stealing the puck in front of the crease and sending it home.
- Jack Hughes tallied the final goal for the Huskies with 1:22 remaining off a wrister from the slot. Cam Lund and Vinny Borgesi collected the helpers.
- Aside from UConn's efforts and adding a third goal, Northeastern skated away with their second win over UConn in as many weekends, 4-3.
- Netminder Devon Levi finished the night with 30 saves for his tenth win of the season, while Hunter McDonald led the team with three blocks and Hryckowian tallied 13 faceoff wins to lead both teams.
Next weekend, the Huskies are set for a home-and-home with Merrimack College. Northeastern will head to North Andover on Friday evening (Jan. 20) before hosting their first game back at Matthews Arena since mid-November on Saturday (Jan. 21).