HENDERSON, Nev. - The Boston University women's ice hockey team wrapped up play at the Henderson Collegiate Hockey Showcase on Saturday afternoon, dropping a 3-0 contest to No. 12 Penn State in the tournament's consolation game at The Dollar Loan Center.
The Nittany Lions scored once in each period to secure the victory and improve to 11-8-1 on the year. BU, which got a 37-save performance from sophomore Callie Shanahan, moves to 6-10-0 with the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers had three power-play opportunities in the first 14 minutes of play and combined for six shots on goal with the player advantage but were unable to take an early lead.
- Soon after the third power-play chance expired, Penn State got on the board when Leah Stecker forced a turnover and then found Maddy Christian at the crease for the game's first goal at the 14:48 mark of the opening period.
- The Nittany Lions put together their best period in the second and were able to push their lead to 2-0 with a fortunate bounce.
- By the right post, Kiara Zanon tipped a right-point try by Mallory Uihlein across the crease, where the puck went off Maeve Connolly and in at 10:54 of the second.
- Penn State helped to protect its lead by staying out the box until the final seconds of the contest.
- The final goal of the game came off a rush in the fifth minute of play in the third as Katelyn Roberts took a pass from Zanon and skated up the right side before punching in a second effort following an initial save by Shanahan.
- Josie Bothun turned away all 21 shots she faced in goal for the Nittany Lions to earn the shutout.
- Penn State held a 40-21 advantage in shots.
- The Terriers faced off against former teammate Courtney Correia, who is a graduate transfer for the Nittany Lions this season.
- BU was 0-for-4 on the power play while Penn State was 0-for-3.
- The Terriers will return to action on Friday (Dec. 2) when they open up a weekend home series with Maine.
- Game time is set for 7 p.m.