BOSTON - Freshman Lane Hutson scored 2:38 into overtime to lift the No. 11/9 Boston University men's ice hockey team to a 4-3 victory at No. 18/16 Northeastern on Saturday night at Matthews Arena.
Hutson's highlight-reel goal was his second overtime-winner of the season and capped a two-point night in which he assisted on classmate Ryan Greene's third-period equalizer.
The play developed when junior goaltender Drew Commesso redirected a Northeastern shot to the half-wall, where O'Brien gathered it and brought it up ice with speed to create a 3-on-1. O'Brien then sauced the puck to Hutson, who zipped up the middle of the ice, gathered the puck, got Devon Levi to commit with a head fake and tucked in a backhander.
Senior captain Domenick Fensore was sensational on Saturday. A force in all three zones, he scored the opening goal of the game and had the primary helper on Greene's trying goal that set the stage for overtime. Senior Matt Brown notched his sixth goal of the season and finished the night tied with Greene for the team lead in goals. Sophomore Ty Gallagher and junior Dylan Peterson assisted on Fensore's goal while freshman Jeremy Wilmer set up Brown's marker.
Commesso was terrific all night but particularly in overtime, making five of his 30 saves in the extra session, including one on a Jayden Struble breakaway bid. His fine play helped BU improve its record to 7-4-0 and 5-3-0 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fensore got BU on the board just 5:36 into the proceedings. Gallagher sent an outlet pass to Peterson on the left wing, and the junior skated to the top of the left circle before leaving the puck for Fensore, who trailed the play. Nobody challenged Fensore as he got below the dot went five-hole to beat Levi.
- The Terriers killed two NU power plays in the opening frame to maintain their one-goal edge after 20 minutes.
- Northeastern tallied two straight goals to take a 2-1 lead, but Brown evened the score with 2:18 left in the second stanza. A wayward Northeastern pass in the Huskies' zone found its way to Wilmer, who charged into the offensive zone and dropped the puck for Brown at the top of the right circle. Everyone backed off Brown, allowing him time and space to uncork the perfect shot inside the left post.
- NU retook the lead 4:55 into the third period, but Greene answered just 2:50 later. Fensore began the play with an impressive rush into the offensive end before sliding the puck to Greene, who wasted no time ripping a wrist shot past Levi.
- Both teams had several golden chances to win the game during a frantic 3-on-3 overtime, but both Commesso and Levi were equal to the task until Hutson sent the traveling Terrier fans home happy.
- BU has yet to lose two games in a row this season.
- Hutson also had the OT winner in a 2-1 triumph over UMass Lowell on Oct. 29.
- Brown leads BU with 14 points and is tied with Greene for the team lead in goals (6) and Hutson for the team lead in assists (8).
- Greene has scored four goals in the last four games, with all four markers coming in Terrier victories.
- Fensore was a plus-3 on Saturday and generated four shots on goal.
- BU will host No. 20 Notre Dame on Wednesday at Agganis Arena.
- Puck drop is scheduled for 5 p.m., and the game will be nationally televised on ESPNU.