STORRS, Conn. - Freshman Brooke Disher's first collegiate goal was the game winner and graduate student Andrea Brändli made 38 saves to lead the Boston University women's ice hockey team to a 2-1 victory at No. 12 UConn in on Friday evening at Freitas Ice Forum.
It marked BU's second consecutive win over a ranked team and it took place in the Huskies' final contest at Freitas.
UConn opened the scoring midway through the first before sophomore Christina Vote tied it up with 5:34 remaining in the opening period. Disher's winner came at the 7:17 mark of the second and Brändli stopped the final 27 shots she faced to lead BU to the win. Junior Catherine Foulem assisted on both BU goals.
The Terriers improve to 5-8-0 overall and and 4-7-0 in Hockey East play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BU went on the penalty kill just 2:48 into the first period but held off UConn's advances.
- A little over halfway into the first, UConn junior Jada Habisch picked up the puck in the BU zone and sent a shot from the slot to the back of the net to open the scoring.
- The Huskies' lead did not last long as Foulem picked off a pass from behind the UConn net and found Vote streaking down the slot, where she buried the chance while falling to the ice to get the equalizer at 14:26.
- In the beginning of the second frame, UConn put the pressure on the BU end of the ice but the Terriers continued to defend well.
- A faceoff win at center followed by a dump into the UConn zone led to the winner as freshman Clara Yuhn and Foulem raced to the puck in the right corner before Foulem curled back and handed it off to senior Nadia Mattvi.
- Mattivi sent it up the slot to a wide-open Disher, who got control of the puck before snapping it past UConn netminder Tia Chan while approaching the left circle the net to give the Terriers the 2-1 lead.
- A screen by Vote at the crease played a big role in Disher's shot finding the back of the net.
- Brändli and the Terrier defense stepped in up for the rest of the contest, denying the Huskies' bid to create a late deadlock
- UConn pulled Chan for the final 2:08 but could did not score with the extra skater on the ice.
- Vote's goal was her second of the season.
- The Huskies doubled up the Terriers in shots, 39-18.
- BU was 0-for-1 on the power play while UConn went 0-for-3.
- UConn netminder sophomore Tia Chan made 16 saves in the loss.
- Friday night marked the final game at the Freitas Ice Forum as UConn is on the road until Jan. 13, when they are set to open a new facility, the Toscano Family Ice Forum.
- BU will host UConn on Saturday at Walter Brown Arena at 3 p.m. for the second game of the home-and-home series.