PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Brett Berard scored twice, including the game-winning goal in overtime on a solo rush as the No. 19 Providence College men's hockey team rallied from a 2-0 hole for a 3-2 win over Maine on Saturday afternoon at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 3 | Maine - 2 - OT
Providence - 21-13-2 (12-11-1 HEA) | Maine - 6-20-4 (4-16-2 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Jaxson Stauber (PC) - 15 saves; 2 GA
Matthew Thiessen (ME) - 32 saves; 3 GA
- The Black Bears raced out of the gates, grabbing a 2-0 lead just 5:11 in on goals from Nolan Renwick and Adam Dawe.
- Berard got the Friars on the board at 5:30 of the second period after receiving a pass from Chase Yoder, who forced a turnover in the Maine zone.
- Despite three power plays in the third period, including a brief 5-on-3 early in the period, Providence couldn't convert.
- Max Crozier knotted the game 4:50 into the third period with his seventh goal of the season, batting an airborne puck to the back of the net after a Jamie Engelbert rebound.
- Providence held a 12-4 shot advantage in the third period.
- In overtime, Berard intercepted a pass and went coast-to-coast, finishing on the backhand for his 17th strike of the season and second of the night to win the game.
- The Friars improved to 17-0-0 when scoring three or more goals this season.
- Providence has suffered only three losses over the last 27 meetings between the schools.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Berard (2)
Assists: Engelbert, Olischefski, Yoder (1)
Points: Berard (2)
Shots: Poisson (7)
Providence - 0/5
Maine - 1/3
Providence - 35
Maine - 17
Providence will host the U.S. NTDP Under-18s next Friday night at Schneider Arena in an exhibition contest.