Fifth-year forward Natalie Snodgrass had a goal and an assist for the Huskies
UConn Notches 3-1 Win Over New Hampshire
Fifth-year forwards Natalie Snodgrass and Summer-Rae Dobson each had a goal and an assist for the Huskies

Box Score

STORRS, Conn.- The University of Connecticut women's hockey team won game one of the two game series against New Hampshire by a final score of 3-1. Graduate student Morgan Wabick would add in two assists to help secure the victory.

The first period began with the Wildcats instantly jumping on the attack. New Hampshire continuously pressured the UConn defense. Some costly turnovers early for the Huskies gave the Wildcats opportunities to get on the board first however senior goaltender Samantha Carpentier-Yelle would make huge saves to keep the game scoreless. UConn would threaten on the powerplay midway through the first however they couldn't find the back of the net as the game would remain scoreless. The power play would kickstart the Huskies as they would begin pressuring the UNH defense. Eventually, graduate student Chloe Gonsalves would take the puck up against the boards and pass it to fellow graduate student Summer-Rae Dobson who would kick pass it to graduate student Natalie Snodgrass who would find the back of the net and put the Huskies on the board first. UConn wouldn't stop there as they would draw a powerplay, and graduate Student Taylor Wabick would do the rest, as she would fire a slapshot to give the Huskies the 2-0 lead at the end of the first period.

The second period began with UConn threatening once again. UConn would have multiple chances to extend their lead early in the period but their shots would deflect just wide of the net or be saved by the New Hampshire goaltender. New Hampshire would eventually get on the board when freshman Kira Juodikis would net her 11th goal on the year with nine minutes left in the period to cut UConn's lead to one.

The third period began with New Hampshire instantly jumping on the attack. The Wildcats held the puck in the UConn zone for over one minute but the UConn defense stayed strong blocking four shots and saving two. The Huskies would get a lucky bounce on a shot by Claire Peterson however the officials would rule a UConn player offsides and the game would remain at 2-1. UConn would eventually extend their lead late in the period as graduate Summer-Rae Dobson would score on the power play for her 11 on the year. The Huskies would net the empty net goal and UConn would win by a final score of 4-1.

Up Next

The Huskies will face off against the Wildcats Tuesday January 25 for the final game of this home series. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. at Freitas Ice Forum.