CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Cayla Barnes scored with 2 minutes, 15 seconds left in overtime to power the No. 6/7 Boston College women's hockey team to a 2-1 victory over No. 10 Providence on Friday afternoon at Kelley Rink. Savannah Norcross finished with two points on one goal and one assist while Hannah Bilka picked up her 50th career point with a helper and Kelly Browne recorded her 1,000th career face-off win.
Providence took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission but Savannah Norcross potted her 10th goal of the season midway through the second period for a 1-1 game. After a scoreless third period, the teams headed to overtime where Barnes tipped home the winning goal.
Abigail Levy made 30 saves to move to 5-1-0 on the year while Sandra Abstreiter made 31 stops for the Friars. BC had the 33-31 lead in shots on goal. The Eagles went 0-for-2 on the power play but held Providence to 0-for-5.
No. 6/7 Boston College 2, No. 10 Providence 1
Friday, Feb. 12, 2021 | 2 p.m.
Kelley Rink | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 5:24| 0-1, PC GOAL: Brooke Becker fed a long stretch pass up the middle of the ice and Bailey Burton skated on to it, went in on Levy and snuck a low shot between the legs.
2nd, 9:53 | 1-1, BC GOAL: Bilka picked off the puck in the neutral zone and then stick handled through two defenders before turning back up ice at the red line. The sophomore then skated past two more defenders and in on goal, pulling Abstreiter to the left post and slotting a pass from Norcross to finish at the right post.
OT, 2:45 | 3-0, BC GOAL: Hadley Hartmetz centered a puck to Norcross at the hashmarks and she muscled it towards goal where a camped out Barnes redirected it high and under the crossbar.
- BC now holds a record of 39-40-3 in the all-time series with Providence since elevating to Division I status for the 1995-96 season ... the Eagles are 20-18-2 at Kelley Rink ... head coach Katie Crowley is now 32-9-3 in her career against Providence.
- The Eagles extended their winning streak to nine games with the win ... it ties for the program's longest winning streak since a nine-game winning streak during the 2018-19 season.
- With her sixth win of the first period, Kelly Browne reach 1,000 career face-off wins ... she finished the day with a game-high 17 face-off wins ... Browne is the first player to reach 1,000 career face-off wins as a junior since Alex Carpenter '16 did it during her 2014-15 junior season.
- Hannah Bilka extended her point streak to five games .... it marks the second time in her career she's had a point in at least five consecutive games ... her career best is a nine-game point streak during the 2019-20 season.
- Bilka also picked up her 50th career point with her assist in the second period ... the sophomore now has 20 goals and 30 assists as an Eagle.
- Savannah Norcross recorded the second consecutive and ninth overall multi-point game of her career ... she is now tied for the team lead in points with 18 on 10 goals and eight assists ... her 10 goals leads all of Hockey East.
- Hadley Hartmetz recorded her 12th assist of the season to tie for the team lead and tie for first nationally among defenders.
Boston College: 13-3-0
The Eagles and Friars will meet again tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Schneider Arena.