DURHAM, N.H. - Liam Walsh recorded three points for the Warriors as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team fell to Merrimack, 5-2, at the Whittemore Center on Friday evening. Merrimack's Conor Lovett and Zach Vinnell each tallied two points. Senior forwards Eric MacAdams (Salem, Mass.) and Patrick Grasso (Ankney, Iowa) each found the back of the net for UNH.
The Wildcats are now 3-8-1 (3-8-1 Hockey East), while Merrimack moves to 2-7-0 (2-7-0 Hockey East).
- The Wildcats are scheduled to face Merrimack on Saturday, Jan. 23 at Lawler Rink at 4:00 p.m. on College SportsLive.
Merrimack 5, New Hampshire 2
UNH (3-8-1, 3-8-1 HE), MC (2-7-0, 2-7-0 HE)
Durham N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Friday, Jan. 22, 2021
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 2:49 into the first period Walsh found the back of the net off a rebound shot in-front of crease allowing Merrimack to take the lead 1-0. Lovett and Declan Carlile both assisted.
- Vinnell found Patrick Holway at the top of the face-off circle for a one timer slap shot which increased Merrimack's advantage to 2-0 at 10:27 into the first period.
- Senior goalie Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) hada great one-on-one save against Lovett at 6:47 into the second period to keep the contest 2-0.
- Ben Brar found the back of the net off a rebound in the slot from Alex Jefferies at 15:51 into the second period which extended Merrimack's lead 3-0. Zach Uens also tallied an assist.
- At 17:25 into the second Vinnell hit a wrist shot from the top of the face-off circle which found the back of the net on the upper stick side. Walsh and Regan Kimens posted assists on the goal.
- At 6:45 into the third period MacAdams found the back of the net on a power play from a rebound off a shot by junior forward Tyler Ward (Kamloops, British Columbia) to make it a 4-1 game. Freshman forward Nick Cafarelli (Middleton, Mass.) also added an assist.
- At 8:26 Grasso fired a shot that hit the post but he was able to knock the puck to the back of the net to cut the Merrimack lead to 4-2. Sophomore forward Lucas Herrmann (Lancaster, N.Y.) andjunior forward Filip Engarås (Stockholm, Sweden) tallied assists.
- At 18:27 into the third Lovett scored on a shorthanded empty net for the 5-2 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Robinson made 31 saves, while Zachary Borgiel posted 16 saves to earn the win.
- Merrimack outshot UNH, 36-18.
- UNH went 1-3 on the power play, while Merrimack went 0-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Grasso earned his 90th career point. He has 45 goals and 45 assists over 127 games.
- Engarås tallied his first assist of the season.
- MacAdams scored his second goal of the season and played his 100th career game.