UConn Skates Past Northeastern, 4-2
Senior forward Spencer Naas posts goal and assist for Huskies

Senior forward Spencer Naas scored a goal and an assist for the Huskies
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
2nd 4:52  CON1-0 EV Spencer Naas (9)Joseph Masonius/12, Kasperi Ojantakanen/10
2nd 5:10  CON2-0 EV Benjamin Freeman (7)Miles Gendron/8, Spencer Naas/9
3rd 1:46  CON3-0 EV GW Maxim Letunov (10)Derek Pratt/9
3rd 8:30  NOE1-3 EV Nolan Stevens (19)Jeremy Davies/19, Adam Gaudette/23
3rd 13:01  NOE2-3 EV Adam Gaudette (21)Nolan Stevens/12, Dylan Sikura/25
3rd 19:57.7 CON4-2 EV EN Corey Ronan (5)Spencer Naas/10
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
UConn  0224
Northeastern  0022
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
UConn  1861034
Northeastern  8121636
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
UConn (14-16-2)  0/1 4/8 0
Northeastern (16-8-5)  0/4 1/2 0
UConn Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Tanner Creel (W, 6-2-0)59:332 8121434
Empty Net0:270     
Northeastern Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Cayden Primeau (L, 12-6-5)57:573 184830
Empty Net2:031     

BOSTON, Mass. - Trailing 3-0 early in the third period, No. 11 Northeastern men's hockey (16-8-5, 11-6-3) stormed back to cut its deficit to one with seven minutes to play, but couldn't complete the comeback as Connecticut (14-16-2, 10-11-1) escaped with a 4-2 victory over NU on Friday night at Matthews Arena.

The loss halts Northeastern's eight-game home unbeaten streak (6-0-2) and drops the Huskies to third place in the Hockey East standings with four league games still to play. Six points now separate the first through four spots in the conference standings.

After the teams played to a scoreless opening frame, UConn struck twice in a span of 18 seconds in the second period, the first coming from Spencer Naas less than five minutes into the frame on a shot that beat Cayden Primeau five-hole before Connecticut took a two-goal lead after Miles Gendron's shot from the point ricocheted off the skate of Benjamin Freeman and past Primeau. UConn then went up by three early in the third period when Maxim Letunov went top shelf off a transition play by the Huskies just 1:46 into the third.

Northeastern found some life with 11:30 to go in regulation when Nolan Stevens potted his 19th goal of the season, tucking home an initial bid from Jeremy Davies crashing the cage to cut the deficit to two. The Huskies then made it 3-2 when Adam Gaudette buried his team-leading 21st goal of the season with 6:59 left. Stevens and Gaudette both recorded a goal and an assist on the night.

NU continued to push, outshooting UConn 16-10 in the final period, and pulled Primeau for the extra attacker with two minutes remaining, but Connecticut put the game out of reach with 2.3 seconds left on Corey Ronan's empty netter.

Tanner Creel was the difference in the game with 34 saves for Connecticut, which was outshot 28-16 in the final 40 minutes of the game after starting the contest with an 18-8 shots advantage in the opening frame. Cayden Primeau steered aside 30 shots at the other end to record at least 30 saves for the fourth time this season.

Northeastern is back in action on Monday night when the Huskies head to TD Garden in search of its first Beanpot championship since 1988. Puck drop against Boston University is set for 7:30 p.m. and will be televised on NESN and TSN2.