PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Northeastern Huskies scored four unanswered goals to defeat the Providence College women's hockey team, 4-1, on Saturday, Feb. 15 in Schneider Arena.
Providence - 1 | No. 3 Northeastern - 4
Providence - 16-12-4 (13-10-2 HEAW) | Northeastern - 26-4-2 (22-3-0 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) put the Friars up 1-0 just over four minutes into the opening period. A Northeastern defenseman mishandled the puck on the blue line before Hjalmarsson picked up the loose puck for a breakaway, Hjalmarsson deked the goaltender to her backhand for her team-high 19th goal of the season.
- Northeastern held a 9-8 advantage in shots at the end of the first period.
- The Huskies notched two goals in the middle frame to take a 2-1 lead into the final 20 minutes. Alina Mueller scored the equalizer on a feed in front of the net. Katy Knoll scored the eventual game-winning goal after slotting home a wrist shot from between the two circles.
- Abstreiter made 16 saves in the second period, killing off a crucial 5-on-3 penalty kill midway through the frame.
- Lauren MacInnis added an insurance goal 4:23 into the third period to hand the Huskies a 3-1 lead. MacInnis fired a slap shot from the top of the left circled that snuck underneath Abstreiter.
- The Huskies added an empty-netter with 2:13 remaining to seal their 4-1 victory.
- Providence went 0-2 on the power play while Northeastern failed to convert on their three opportunities.
- Abstreiter posted 28 saves between the pipes.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 4:01/1st - EV - Sara Hjalmarsson - Deked the goaltender on a breakaway to her backhand
1-1 (Northeastern) - 3:46/2nd - EV - Alina Mueller (Aurard, Fontaine) - Backhand infront of the crease to the bottom left corner of the cage
2-1 (Northeastern) - 9:44/2nd - EV - Katy Knoll - Wrist shot slotted in the bottom right corner
3-1 (Northeastern) - 4:23/3rd - EV - Lauren MacInnis (Hartman, Knoll) - Slap shot from the top of the right circle
4-1 (Northeastern) - 17:47/3rd - EN - Katy Knoll
Sandra Abstreiter (Providence) - 28 saves, 3 goal against
Gwyneth Philips (Northeastern) - 22 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 0-2
Penalty kill: 3-3
Power plays: 0-3
Penalty kill: 2-2
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Hjalmarsson (1)
Points: Hjalmarsson (1)
Shots: Rickard, Barone (4)
Providence wrap up the regular season with a home-and-home series next weekend versus Holy Cross. The Friars will travel to Worcester, Mass. in game one (Feb. 21) for a 7:05 puck drop followed by a 3:00 p.m. puck drop the following day (Feb. 22) at Schneider Arena.