PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of New Brunswick, 1-0, in an exhibition game on Saturday, Sept. 28 at Schneider Arena. Freshman Lauren DeBlois buried the game-winner with 1:53 remaining in the third period.
Providence - 1 | New Brunswick - 0
Providence: 0-0-0 | New Brunswick: 0-0-0
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The first period ended in a scoreless draw, with Providence posting a 9-2 advantage in shots. Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) was forced to make two saves in the first 20 minutes.
- Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.) entered the game in net with 11:13 remaining in the second period, putting an end to Sandra Abstreiter's day. Absreiter finished the exhibition with three saves during 28:47 minutes between the pipes.
- Providence earned three power play opportunities in the middle stanza opposed to New Brunswick's two. The Friars outshot the Reds through the man advantages, 7-1, but neither side could find the back of the net.
- Avery Fransoo nearly put the Friars on the board first two minutes into the final period. Fransoo carried the puck over the blue line on the left side before ripping a wrist shot off the crossbar.
- Providence built another promising opportunity with 16:13 left in the period. Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) turned over a Reds defenseman before leading a two on one rush. Lunny dished the puck to Kathleen McHugh (Billerica, Mass.) skating up the right side. McHugh went to the backhand across the crease that Woodland sprawled to make the save.
- Katrina Broccoli (North Haven, Conn.) relieved Minnerath in net with 13:15 remaining in the final 20 minutes of play. Minnerath ended her day with six saves in 23:25 minutes.
- New Brunswick was called for too many skaters on the ice for one final power play. Freshman Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) buried the game-winner with 1:53 remaining in the third period. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) slid the puck from the point to DeBlois, who winded up in the right circle before putting it over the goaltender's right shoulder. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) picked up the secondary assist.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 18:07/3rd - PP - Lauren DeBlois (Murphy, Dove) - Slap shot from the right circle
Providence: Sandra Abstreiter - 3 saves, 0 goals against
Clare Minnerath - 6 saves, 0 goal against
Katrina Broccoli - 0 saves, 0 goals against
New Brunswick: Kendra Woodland - 36 saves, 0 goals against
Power plays: 1-5 (20%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-5 (20%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Julien, Murphy, Fransoo (5)
Goals: DeBlois (1)
Assists: Dove, Murphy (1)
Points: DeBlois, Dove, Murphy (1)
The Friars open the regular season with a home-and-home against Quinnipiac next Friday, Oct. 4. Providence will host the Bobcats on Friday before travelling to People's United Center in Hamden, Conn. on Saturday.