BURLINGTON, Vt. - A three-goal second period powered the Boston University Terriers (10-4-1, 5-4-1 HEAW) over the Vermont Catamounts (5-5-5, 2-5-3 HEAW) on Sunday afternoon at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"We are going to have to regroup after this weekend," said head coach Jim Plumer. "After a great first period, we were soundly outplayed by BU and we lost our discipline and composure with the puck. We have to be better in all aspects moving forward."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Catamounts struck just six seconds into the game when Ève-Audrey Picard won the opening faceoff to Theresa Schafzahl. The sophomore forward picked up the puck and rushed into the Terriers' zone and rifled a wrist shot past Corinne Schroeder (21 saves).
- Julia Nearis tied the game for Boston University before the end of the first period on her eighth goal of the season. Jesse Compher was credited with the assist.
- Abby Cook gave BU the lead two minutes into the second period when she fired a slap shot through traffic past Natalie Ferenc (13 saves). Sammy Davis and Compher assisted on the power-play goal.
- The Terriers' added two goals after the midway point of the middle frame. Compher netted her fifth marker of the season on the power play and Kristina Schuler added an even-strength tally 1:12 later.
- Compher added her second goal of the game just over a minute into the third period. Davis and Kaliegh Donnelly had helpers on the BU goal that beat Blanka kodová (3 saves).
- Schafzahl's goal is the fastest in program history. The previous record came when Amanda Pelkey '15 scored 19 seconds into Vermont's win over Union on Oct. 24, 2014.
The Catamounts will be hosting the fifth annual Windjammer Classic on Friday (Nov. 29) and Saturday (Nov. 30) at Gutterson Fieldhouse. The tournament opens up at 1 p.m. on Friday when fifth-ranked Clarkson faces Minnesota State. Vermont and Penn State meet for the first time since the 2013-14 season at 4 p.m. The winners advance to Saturday's championship game at 4 p.m., which takes place after the 1 p.m. consolation game. Fans can purchase tickets for the Windjammer Classic through UVMAthletics.com/Tickets or at the Gutterson Fieldhouse box office on gameday.