BEMIDJI, Minn. - The Providence College women's hockey team used four second period goals to defeat the Bemidji State Beavers, 5-1, on Friday, Oct. 11 in Bemidji, Minn. The Beavers knotted the game at one goal apiece midway through the second period before the Friars used a barrage of goals to close out the period with a 5-1 lead for the eventual win.
Providence - 5 | Bemidji State - 1
Providence: 2-1-0 | Bemidji State: 1-2-0
Sanford Center | Bemidji, Minn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The opening 20 minutes remained even until Providence took the lead with nine minutes left on the clock. Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) played the puck to Kathleen McHugh (Billerica, Mass.) at mid-ice before she dished it off to Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) at the blue line. Lunny brought the puck up the boards on the right side before sneaking the puck past the goaltender on the near post to take a 1-0 lead. The goal marked Lunny's first of the season and 12th of her career.
- Clare Minnerath made 12 saves in the period.
- Bemidji State buried the equalizer eight minutes into the second period. Briana Jorde passed the puck from the bottom of the left circle to Jacqueline Kaasa who was positioned in the slot where she finished a one-timer.
- Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) answered at the midway point of the second period to take a 2-1 lead. Van Pelt picked off a pass behind Bemidji State's net before carrying the puck to the bottom of the right circle and firing a shit shot over the goaltender's left pad. The goal marked Van Pelt's first goal of the season and 12th of her career.
- Providence added some insurance just 36 seconds later. Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) scored the first of two goals for her in the game to hand the Friars a 3-1 lead. Hjalmarsson won a face-off in the offensive zone before regathering the puck on the half-wall on the left side. Hjalmarsson turned and fired a shot five-hole past the goaltender.
- Hjalmarsson continued to score the Friars' third goal of the period on a power play with six minutes remaining in the period. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) played the puck to Ariane Julien (Saint Hyacinthe) from behind Providence's net, Julien pushed the puck up the ice to Hjalmarsson at center ice, Hjalmarsson placed a wrist shot from the top of the right circle over the goaltender's left shoulder.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) topped off the scoring with just four seconds on the clock in the middle stanza. Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) dished Murphy from behind the net that Murphy jammed under the goaltender from right in front of the crease.
- Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.) handled the workload between the pipes for her second win of the season. She tallied 31 saves in net and allowed just one goal.
- Providence improves to 2-1 on the season and will close out the two-game series against Bemidji State tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 p.m. (ET)
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 11:17/1st - EV - Hayley Lunny (McHugh, DeBlois) - Grabbed the puck on the boards and snuck the puck near post.
1-1 (Bemidji State) - 7:52/2nd - EV - Jacqueline Kaasa (Jorde) - One-timer from theslot to the bottom left
2-1 (Providence) - 10:31/2nd - EV - Neve Van Pelt - Wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle
3-1 (Providence) - 11:07/2nd - EV - Sara Hjalmarsson - Wrist shot from the half-wall on the left side
4-1 (Providence) - 13:57/2nd - PP - Sara Hjalmarsson (Julien, Fransoo) - Wrist shot from the top of the right circle
5-1 (Providence) - 19:56/2nd - EV - Maureen Murphy (Rice, Gonsalves) - Punched under the goalie from in front of the crease
Providence: Clare Minnerath - 19 saves, 2 goal against
Bemidji State: Kerigan Dowhy - 11 saves, 3 goals against
Lexi Baker - 5 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 1-2 (50%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-2 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (8)
Goals: Hjalmarsson (2)
Assists: Six players (1)
Points: Hjalmarsson (2)
The Friars will close out the two-game road series against Bemidji State tomorrow at 3:00 p.m.