UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Penn State Nittany Lions in overtime on Friday afternoon (Oct. 19) at Pegula Ice Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) had two goals, including the game-winner, in the 3-2 victory.
Providence - 3 | Penn State - 2
Providence: 4-0-0 (1-0-0 HE) | Penn State: 3-3-1 (0-0-0 CHA)
Pegula Ice Arena | University Park, Pa.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Penn State struck first with a power play goal 5:02 into the game. Katie Rankin finished a one-timer in the slot to make it 1-0.
- The Friars responded with a power play strike of their own 2:14 later. Maureen Murphy took a shot from the point that was tipped in front by Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario). Jenna Brenneman made the initial save for the Nittany Lions, but Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) was waiting at the back door for the score.
- Murphy put the Friars ahead with a short-handed breakaway goal 2:01 into the second period. She stole the puck at the defensive blue line, broke free of two defenders and finished over Brenneman's shoulder.
- The short-handed strike is already Murphy's second of the season. Last season, she led the nation in short-handed goals with four.
- Penn State leveled the score at the 9:27 mark of the third. Katie McMillan took a wrist shot from the left circle that beat Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) over her shoulder. Her third goal of the season was assisted by Shea Nelson.
- Just 1:12 into overtime, Murphy ended the game for Providence. She took a wrist shot from the bottom of the left circle that beat Brenneman and improved the Friars to 4-0-0 on the season.
- Murphy's game-winner was assisted by Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) and Emily Landry (Orangeville, Ontario).
- Murphy has scored at least two points in all four of the Friars' games so far this season. Last year she had seven multi-point performances.
- MacPherson has a point in three of the Friars' first four games. She now has four points on a goal and three assists.
- The Friars are now 1-0-0 in overtime this year. The Nittany Lions drop to 0-1-1 in extra time.
- Myers finished the game with 21 saves for Providence, while Brenneman made 15 for PSU.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Penn State) - 5:02/1st - PP - Katie Rankin (Heising, Adolfsson) - One-timer in the slot
1-1 (Providence) - 7:16/1st - PP - Whitney Dove (MacPherson, Murphy) - Shot at the back door
2-1 (Providence) - 2:01/2nd - SH - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
2-2 (Penn State) - 9:27/3rd - EV - Katie McMillan (Nelson) - Wrist shot from the left circle
3-2 (Providence) - 1:12/OT - EV - Maureen Murphy (Lunny, Landry) - Wrist shot from the bottom of the left circle
Providence: Madison Myers, 3-0-0: 21 saves, 2 goals against
Penn State: Jenna Brenneman, 3-3-1: 15 saves, 3 goals against
Power plays: 1-3 (33%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (67%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (5)
Goals: Murphy (2)
Assists: Murphy, MacPherson, Lunny, Landry (1)
Points: Murphy (3)
The Friars continue the series at Penn State with a 12:00 p.m. game tomorrow, Oct. 20.