PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Northeastern University Huskies, 3-1, on Saturday, Feb. 16 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 1 | No. 3 Northeastern - 3
Providence: 19-10-2 (13-9-2 HE) | Northeastern: 22-4-4 (20-2-2 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Northeastern got on the board with a power-play goal 3:31 into the contest. Skylar Fontaine scored her eighth goal of the year, while Codie Cross picked up her eighth assist of the season.
- The Huskies increased the lead at the 12:52 mark. Matti Hartman notched an unassisted goal to make it 2-0.
- Despite allowing two goals, Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 15 saves in the first period.
- Providence got its first power play of the game early in the second period. The Friars took advantage, scoring with 14:10 left on the clock.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) took a shot that bounced off of Aerin Frankel's shoulder and up into the air. It landed at the back post where Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) was able to tap it in for her seventh goal of the season.
- Putigna's assist was her 12th of the season and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) picked up her 14th of the year.
- The Friars outshot the Huskies 13 to 7 in the middle stanza.
- Northeastern regained a two-goal lead when Fontaine scored her second goal of the game at 4:11 of the third. She was assisted by Veronika Pettey and Mia Brown.
- Despite outshooting the Huskies 11-5 in the final period, the Friars were unable to produce any goals.
- Myers finished with 26 saves in net for Providence. Frankel made 31 for Northeastern, including 11 in the third period.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Northeastern) - 3:31/1st - PP - Skylar Fontaine (Cross) - Rush that began at the defensive blue line
2-0 (Northeastern) - 12:52/1st - EV - Matti Hartman (unassisted) - Wrist shot from the right circle
2-1 (Providence) - 5:50/2nd - PP - Meaghan Rickard (Putigna, Fransoo) - Tap in at the post after rebound off Frankel's shoulder
3-1 (Northeastern) - 4:11/3rd - EV - Skylar Fontaine (Pettey, Brown) - Rebound goal
Providence: Madison Myers, 18-9-2: 26 saves, 3 goals against
Northeastern: Aerin Frankel, 17-2-2: 31 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 1-2 (50%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (67%)
Power plays: 1-3 (33%)
Penalty kill: 1-2 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (8)
Goals: Rickard (1)
Assists: Putigna, Fransoo (1)
Points: Rickard, Putigna, Fransoo (1)
Providence plays its final three regular-season games on the road. Tomorrow (Feb. 17) features a 2:00 p.m. puck drop at Northeastern's Matthews Arena.