PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College women's hockey defeated the University of Maine Black Bears by a score of 3-1 on Friday, Nov. 9 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 3 | Maine - 1
Providence: 7-2-0 (4-1-0 HE) | Maine: 7-4-0 (3-4-0 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maine struck first with a 2-on-0 breakaway goal by Black Bears' leading scorer, Tereza Vanisova. Her eighth tally of the year was assisted by Ali Beltz and Alyson Matteau.
- Providence leveled the score at the 13:17 mark. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) skated down the boards and behind the net, before she laid a pass in front for Neve Van Pelt (Michell, Ontario). Van Pelt took a shot that went up and over Carly Jackson. Initially, play continued as the referee ruled no goal. Several minutes later, when a whistle came, Providence challenged the play and was awarded the goal.
- Van Pelt's goal was her second of the season, while MacPherson's assist was her third of the year.
- Providence ended the first period with a 13-5 advantage in shots.
- Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) gave Providence a 2-1 lead with a power-play goal at the 12:40 mark of the second. Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) assisted Friesen's one-timer.
- Friesen's goal was her first of the season. Putigna's assist was her third of the season and Fransoo's was her fourth.
- With Putigna's assist, she now has a three-game point streak for the Friars.
- Providence opened the third period with a critical penalty kill. Maine hit the post and Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made one save during the Black Bears' man-advantage.
- The Friars had to kill off another third-period penalty, as Putigna went to the box with 7:37 remaining. Providence finished 3-for-3 on the penalty kill in the game.
- Putigna sealed the game with an empty-net goal with 2:01 remaining. She was assisted by Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) and Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.).
- Murphy's assist was her seventh of the season and extends her point streak to three games. Rickard's assist was her first of the year.
- Myers finished the game with 23 saves for Providence, while Jackson had 30 for Maine.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) - 6:43/1st - EV - Tereza Vanisova (Beltz, Matteau) - 2-on-0 breakaway
1-1 (Providence) - 13:17/1st - EV - Neve Van Pelt (MacPherson) - Pass from behind the net for a shot in front
2-1 (Providence) - 12:40/2nd - PP - Kate Friesen (Putigna, Fransoo) - One-timer from the left circle
3-1 (Providence) - 17:59/3rd - EN - Christina Putigna (Murphy, Rickard) - Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 6-1-0: 23 saves, 1 goal against
Maine: Carly Jackson, 2-4-0: 30 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 1-2 (50%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-2 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy, Putigna (5)
Goals: Van Pelt, Friesen, Putigna (1)
Assists: MacPherson, Putigna, Fransoo, Murphy, Rickard (1)
Points: Putigna (2)
The Friars travel to the University of Vermont for a 1:00 p.m. game on Sunday, Nov. 11.