UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - For the first time in program history, the Merrimack College women's ice hockey team downed Penn State 2-1 Saturday afternoon inside Pegula Ice Arena.
Score: Merrimack 2, Penn State 1
Records: Merrimack (3-0-1, 0-0-0 HEA) | Penn State (1-2-1, 0-0-0 CHA)
Location: Pegula Ice Arena | University Park, Pa.
Goal #1 (1-0 MC) - Similar to Friday's contest, the first fifteen minutes were as balanced as could get; both teams had an equal number of shots on net. It was just after the 15 minute mark where the Warriors struck first. A pass from senior Katelyn Rae found the stick of Jessica Bonfe, who beat the goaltender for her first goal of the season.
Goal #2 (2-0 MC) - Just three minutes later, the Warriors doubled their lead. Senior Paige Voight connected with sophomore Courtney Maud, who found Megan Fergusson for the goal.
Goal #3 (2-1 PSU) - Penn State was able to cut the lead in half just four minutes into the third period. Katie Rankin connected on a pass from Kelsey Crow, but that was the only time the Nittany Lions scored to finalize the score at 2-1.
Notes and Numbers
- Their 3-0-1 record is the best three-game start to any season for the Warriors.
- This is the first meeting between the two teams that didn't go into overtime.
- Merrimack's penalty kill stays at 100%, after shutting down Penn State twice more today.
- Samantha Ridgewell made 23 saves, with 11 of which coming in the second period.
- Goaltenders: Samantha Ridgewell (20 saves, 3-0-1) // Jenna Brenneman (19 saves, 1-2-1)
- Power Plays: Merrimack (0-2) | Penn State (0-2)
- Shots on Goal (MC-PSU): 11-10 // 12-7 // 0-3 // - 23-20
Merrimack will have the next five days off before returning to Lawler Rink Friday, October 12; the first Hockey East Conference game of the season against Boston University will see the puck drop at 7 p.m.