PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Senior tri-captain Reagan Rust broke a 2-2 deadlock with 8:48 remaining in regulation to lift the Boston University women's ice hockey team to an eventual 5-2 road win over Brown on Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium.
Senior Connor Galway, redshirt junior Sammy Davis, sophomore Nara Elia and freshman Mackenna Parker also lit the lamp for the Terriers, which improved to 4-4-4 with the victory over Brown (5-6-1). Davis, Elia and Galway each added an assist to complete two-point efforts, while freshman Emma Wuthrich recorded her first collegiate point with an assist on Rust's winner.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers outshot the Bears, 20-5, in the first 20 minutes, but Brown opened the scoring 13:13 into the proceedings. The goal came moments after sophomore Corinne Schroeder (15 saves) made an incredible stop on a Brown breakaway.
- BU responded at 18:07 of the opening frame. A terrific shift from the line of junior Deziray De Sousa, sophomore Kristina Schuler and sophomore Nara Elia eventually led to a delayed penalty against Brown as De Sousa was knocked down in front of the net. Elia then gathered the puck at the half-wall and dished it to Galway at the right circle. The senior defender fired a shot inside the right post for her first goal of the year.
- Davis made it 2-1 with 4:28 to play in the second stanza. Sophomore Jesse Compher won an offensive-zone faceoff and tied up her defender. That allowed Davis to collect the loose puck at the bottom of the left circle and score her eighth goal of the season.
- The Bears tied the game at 8:04 of the third period, but Rust answered with the game-winner just over 3:00 later. Wuthrich did well to shield the puck from a defender in the Brown zone before leaving it for freshman Courtney Correia along the left half-wall. Correia quickly got the puck to Rust at the top of the zone, and the senior rocketed a shot under the crossbar for her second goal of the season.
- Elia added an insurance goal with 2:35 remaining in regulation. Sophomore Kristina Schuler kept the puck in along the Brown blue line and got it down to Elia in the right corner. Elia skated past a defender and dashed to the goal, putting a shot on net that Calla Isaac (37 saves) turned aside. Elia stayed with the play, however, and knocked home the rebound for her third goal of the season.
- Parker added an empty-netter with 1:25 to go to seal the victory.
- Five different Terriers lit the lamp in a single game for the first time since a 5-1 win over RIT on Nov. 3, 2017.
- Compher extended her point streak to nine games (6g, 11a) with her assist.
- Davis stretched her point streak to five games (4g, 6a).
- Parker has recorded a goal in each of the last four games.
- Elia has recorded four points (1g, 3a) over the last two games.
- Galway notched her second career goal. Her first collegiate goal came at Penn State on Oct. 15, 2016.
- Tuesday was Galway's second multi-point game of the season, with her first coming on Nov. 16 against Vermont.
- The Terriers outshot the Bears, 42-17.
NEXT UP: BATTLE OF COMM AVE
- The Terriers will begin a home-and-home series with No. 4 Boston College on Friday night in Chestnut Hill.
- Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.