CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Freshman Kelly Browne scored a power-play goal midway through the third period to give the No. 8 Boston College women's hockey team a 2-1 win over Hockey East opponent Maine on Thursday night at Kelley Rink.
The Eagles got on the board just 19 seconds into the game thanks to Lindsay Agnew's unassisted tally. Tereza Vanisova tied the game for the visiting Black Bears seven minutes later and the teams entered the first intermission tied. After a scoreless second period, the Eagles came out firing in the final frame - outshooting Maine, 16-9, in the last 20 minutes - and Browne's tally stood to be the game-winner.
Maddy McArthur was strong in net for the Eagles, making 26 stops for her 20th win of the season. Carly Jackson put up 29 saves for Maine. BC had the 31-27 edge in shots on goal and both squads went 1-for-3 on the power play.
No. 8/8 Boston College 2, Maine 1
February 14, 2019 | 7 p.m.
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 00:19 | 1-0, BC GOAL: Maine won its offensive zone faceoff but Agnew caused a turnover, skated down the right wing and from the bottom of the circle sent her shot nearside, top shelf.
1st, 7:22 | 1-1, ME GOAL: Alyson Matteau kept the puck in at the blue line and hit Tereza Vanisova skating into the circle from where she was able to beat McArthur high, stick side.
3rd, 12:25 | 2-1, BC GOAL: Caitrin Lonergan skated just inside the left circle and when she hit the bottom of it, whipped a pass to Keller at the hashmarks. Keller instinctively backhanded a no-look pass to Browne crashing the right post and Browne was able to take it in on her backhand for a high finish over Jackson's glove.
- Kali Flanagan and Ryan Little each played in their 150th career game tonight ... only seven other BC players have played 150-or-more career games ... Flanagan and Little are now tied for sixth all-time in program history at 150 games played.
- Head coach Katie Crowley recorded her 300th career win tonight ... she is just the 12th Division I women's coach to reach 300 career wins and the seventh active coach to do so ... across all divisions of women's hockey, Crowley is the 16th coach to reach 300 wins ... all of her wins have come at Boston College since she was elevated to head coach ahead of the 2007-08 season.
- Caitrin Lonergan has now earned a point in 10 consecutive games.
- The Eagles have out-shot the opponent in 21 consecutive contests.
- Daryl Watts and Lindsay Agnew have recorded at least one shot on goal in all 32 of BC's contest this season ... Lonergan has fired at least one shot on goal in all 30 of her games played this year.
- The Eagles' penalty-kill unit's streak of consecutive kills came to an end at 20 straight with Maine's power-play goal in the first.
- Megan Keller has registered at least one point in 25 of her 31 games played this season.
- BC now has a record of 42-16-6 in the all-time series with Maine including a mark of 22-9-2 at Kelley Rink ... head coach Katie Crowley is 31-5-2 all-time against Maine.
- Agnew's goal 19 seconds into the game was the fastest to start a game for BC since Toni Ann Miano scored nine seconds into a 5-4 overtime win at Northeastern on Jan. 13, 2018.
Maine: 14-14-4, 7-14-4 HEA
Boston College: 22-10-0, 18-7-0 HEA
Boston College and Maine will close out the regular season series tomorrow at Kelley Rink with a 4 p.m. puck drop.