|1st||11:34||NOE||1-0||EV||Tessa Ward (1)||Shelby Herrington/3, Ainsley MacMillan/2|
|1st||12:15||NOE||2-0||EV GW||Veronika Pettey (3)||-|
|1st||13:51||NOE||3-0||PP||McKenna Brand (4)||Codie Cross/2, Denisa Křížová/2|
|3rd||6:18||NOE||4-0||PP||McKenna Brand (5)||Veronika Pettey/3, Codie Cross/3|
|3rd||11:32||NOE||5-0||PP||Veronika Pettey (4)||Denisa Křížová/3, Codie Cross/4|
|3rd||15:12||SYR||1-5||PP||Victoria Klimek (2)||Stephanie Grossi/1, Lindsay Eastwood/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Brittany Bugalski (W, 3-3-1)||60:00||1||5||13||6||24|
|Abbey Miller (L, 1-5-1)||20:00||3||4||0||0||4|
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Senior McKenna Brand and freshman Veronika Pettey each scored two goals, and junior goaltender Brittany Bugalski turned aside 24 shots to help the No. 9/9 Northeastern women's hockey team (3-3-1) notch a 5-1 victory over Syracuse (1-5-1) on Friday night at Tennity Ice Pavilion.
Freshman Tessa Ward also found the back of the net for her first collegiate goal, while sophomore Codie Cross dished out three assists - all on the power play - as the Huskies finished 3-for-5 with the numerical advantage.
Senior Denisa Krizova also chipped in two assists to move within four helpers of tying Hilary Witt for the fourth-most assists (95) in Northeastern history.
- For the first time in six contests, Northeastern scored the game's opening goal when Ward netted her first collegiate tally at 11:34 of the first period. Senior Ainsley MacMillan initiated the play with a crisp pass to senior Shelby Herrington, who was cutting through the neutral zone with speed. Herrington skated in on the right wing and delivered a centering pass to Ward, who whacked home the puck in the slot for her first goal as a Husky.
- Pettey doubled the lead just 41 seconds later when she forced a turnover in the neutral zone, skated in alone on the left wing and wristed a shot top-shelf, over the glove of Syracuse netminder Abbey Miller at 12:15.
- The Huskies added to their advantage less than two minutes later with a tic-tac-toe strike on the power play. Senior Denisa Krizova moved the puck to the left point for sophomore Codie Cross, who quickly shifted it back across the goal-mouth to Brand at the right post. The senior settled the disc and ripped a twisted wrister under the crossbar at 13:51 of the opening period to make it 3-0.
- After a scoreless second period, NU tacked on a fourth goal at 6:18 of the final frame. On another power-play chance, Cross flung a shot towards the net that was redirected by Pettey onto the stick of Brand at the right of the cage for her second goal of the night.
- The Huskies' power-play cashed in yet again at 11:32 of the third period to make it 5-0. After heavy pressure in the Syracuse zone, Krizova picked up the puck along right right half-wall and zipped a pass across the crease for Pettey to hammer home at the left post.
Stats of the Game
- McKenna Brand notched her 10th career two-goal game, and her second this season.
- Veronika Pettey registered her first collegiate two-goal effort; Pettey has four goals and three assists in her last five games overall.
- Tessa Ward potted her first collegiate goal; Ward is the third freshman to find the back of the net for NU this season, joining Pettey and Skylar Fontaine.
- Denisa Krizova registered two assists to give her 91 helpers in her collegiate career. With four more assists, Krizova will move into a tie with Hilary Witt (95 assists) for fourth place in the NU record books.
- Codie Cross dished out three assists for her first collegiate three-point game.
The Huskies will look to finish the weekend strong when they close out the series with Syracuse on Saturday at 2 p.m.