Sophomore forward Kayla Mork nets game-tying goal for Wildcats

Sophomore forward Kayla Mork scored the game-tying goal for the Wildcats

DURHAM, N.H. - Sophomore Kayla Mork (Victoria, Minn.) tallied the game-tying goal with 2:14 remaining in the third period and help the University of New Hampshire women's hockey team to a 3-3 tie against Providence Sunday afternoon at the Whittemore Center.

With the draw, the Wildcats now stand at 13-14-3 overall and 9-7-2 in conference play while the Friars are now 14-12-5 and 8-7-3 in Hockey East action.

Kristina Lavoie (Fonthill, Ontario) got the scoring started in the first period when she scored her fourth goal of the weekend and first of the game on a power play. Alexis Crossley (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia) started the play as she passed the puck up to Kristine Horn (Utica, Mich.). Horn then found Lavoie waiting in front of the net who in turn put it away for the goal at 10:16 of the first.

Providence came back and took a 2-1 lead after goals by Nicole Anderson and Brooke Simpson. Anderson's came at the 11:24 mark as she was assisted by Maggie Pendleton and Jessica Vella. Simpson's goal came at 14:32 of the first and she was assisted by Corinne Buie and Beth Hanrahan. Bryanna Farris (Carleton Place, Ontario) tied the game at 2-2 with 2:45 remaining in the period as she scored her first goal of the season. Megan Armstrong (Edina, Minn.) sent the initial shot in that was played on by Jessica Hitchcock (LaSalle, Ontario) and on net. Farris grabbed the rebound and put it away for the tally.

After one period of play, the game was tied, 2-2. New Hampshire outshot Providence by a margin of 15-11 in the period.

Buie tallied her second point of the game at 14:31 of the second period and regaining the lead for the Friars. Allison Micheletti played the puck in to Brooke Simpson in the Wildcat's zone. Simpson connected with Buie on the play to tally the goal and a 3-2 lead. With just under a minute left in the period, Simpson intercepted a pass just inside the blueline and carried it in on a breakaway. As she tried to beat UNH goalie Jenn Gilligan (Maple Ridge, British Columbia) on the lower left side, Gilligan extended and made the save with her pad to keep the score at 3-2.

After two periods, Providence was ahead, 3-2. Shot totals through two periods were 22-15 in favor of New Hampshire.

With just 2:14 remaining in regulation, Mork tallied her second goal of the season and of the weekend to tie the game at 3-3 and force overtime. Crossley tallied her second assist of the game on the play as she dished the puck to Jenna Lascelle (Cornwall, Ontario). Lascelle took a shot that was saved by Friar goalie Sarah Bryant, but Mork was there to put it away and tie the game. After three periods of play, the game was sent to overtime.

New Hampshire poured on the offense in the five minute overtime period, putting four shots on goal. With seconds remaining in the period, Hannah Armstrong (Newmarket, Ontario) stole the puck and skated up the ice with it, but Bryant made the extension with her leg to save the shot as time expired. After 65 minutes of play, the score was finalized at 3-3.

Gilligan received the decision in net for New Hampshire after making 18 saves on 21 shots faced. Her record now stands at 9-4-2. Bryant made 31 saves on 34 shots to get the decision for Providence. Her record now stands at 10-9-4. New Hampshire was 1-for-3 on the power play while the Friars were 0-for-2 with the advantage.

The Wildcats return to the ice on Wednesday, Feb. 20 as they travel to Boston University to conclude the season series with the Terriers. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.