Freshman forward Sara Carlson scores game-winning goal for Wildcats

Freshman forward Sara Carlson scored the game-winning goal for the Wildcats

DURHAM, N.H. - The University of New Hampshire women's hockey team wrapped up the regular season with a 2-1 win over the University of Maine on Sunday afternoon at the Whittemore Center.

The Wildcats improved to 14-15-4 overall and to 10-8-3 in Hockey East action while Maine falls to 5-23-4 overall and to 2-16-3 in conference play.

The day started off with a special pregame ceremony to honor the seven seniors on the team. Katie Brock (Marblehead, Mass.), Kailey Chappell (Pickering, Ontario), Bryanna Farris (Carleton Place, Ontario), Paige Goloubef (Oakville, Ontario), Kristine Horn (Utica, Mich.), Katie Kleinendorst (Vestal, N.Y.) and Kristina Lavoie (Fonthill, Ontario) were each recognized for their outstanding careers and dedication to the program over their four years at UNH.

New Hampshire poured on the offense early, getting five shots on goal before Maine registered one. Arielle O'Neill (St. Catherines, Ontario) sent a wrist shot on target that hit the right post and deflected away from the net. Both teams kept the offensive pressure on, but solid goaltending by each goalie kept the game tied, 0-0, at the end of the first period.

Nicole Gifford (Ennismore, Ontario) broke the 0-0 tie at the 5:52 mark of the second stanza on a power play when she found the rebound of a shot by Hannah Armstrong (Newmarket, Ontario) in front of the net and put it away. Alexis Crossley (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia) started the play when she sent a laser pass to the stick of Armstrong. Armstrong took a point-blank shot that was saved by Maine's Brittany Ott. Gifford found the rebound and tallied the goal, her third of the season.

Maine's Brianne Kilgour leveled the score at 1-1 with 3:29 remaining in the second period. Hailey Browne started the play when she passed the puck up to Katy Massey near center ice. Massey dropped it off for Kilgour who then fired a wrist shot that snuck in the left side of the net. Through two periods of play, the score was tied, 1-1. UNH held a 25-18 advantage in shots on goal at the end of the stanza.

At the 7:03 mark of the third period, freshman Sara Carlson (Hutchinson, Minn.) notched her eighth goal of the season to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead. Jenna Lascelle (Cornwall, Ontario) got the play started when she stole the puck from Maine against the boards and skated in with it. She then bounced a pass off the wall that was shoveled in front of the crease by Kayla Mork (Victoria, Minn.). Carlson found the puck and put it away for the tally. Carlson's goal would ultimately lift the 'Cats to a 2-1 victory. UNH goalie Jenn Gilligan (Maple Ridge, British Columbia) picked up her 10th win of the season after making 26 saves in net. Her record stands at 10-4-3. Ott received the loss in net for the Black Bears after allowing a pair of goals on 29 shots. Her record falls to 5-15-3.

For more information on the upcoming playoffs, visit