Katy Beach pots game-winner for Friars

Katy Beach scored the game-winner for UConn

Providence, R.I. (November 29, 2008) - The Providence College women's ice hockey team earned a 1-0 victory over intercity rival Brown University in the 14th annual Mayor's Cup. Senior Katy Beach (Cleveland, Ohio) scored the game winner at 3:33 of the third period and freshman netminder Genevieve Lacasse (Scarborough, Ontario) denied 37 shots to earn the shutout. The Friars maintain the coveted Mayor's Cup in consecutive seasons for the first time in the 14 years the two teams have competed in the annual contest. With the win, Providence improves to 7-6-2 (3-2-1 Hockey East), while Brown falls to 2-9-1 (2-4-0 ECAC).

Brown came out in the first period looking to avenge last year's 5-2 defeat at Schneider Arena, but the Friars were up to the task as they held off a five minute flurry of shots by the Bears capped off with a successful kill of a five-on-three two-man advantage at 5:15. The Friars struggled to keep consistent pressure on the Bears, however, as PC took five penalties in the period. After one period, Brown held the advantage in shots, 21-12.

Providence came out of the locker room for the second period and was able to limit the trips to the penalty box to one, holding the Bears to 12 shots. The two teams exchanged scoring chances throughout the period, but neither side was able to beat the stellar play of the two netminders. After 40 minutes the teams remained deadlocked at 0-0 with Lacasse earning 29 saves while Brown netminder Nicole Stock denied 24 Friar shots.

Providence had the better of play throughout the third period and the Friars would strike at 3:33. After a clearance from a Brown defender, Lacasse sent the puck up the boards to senior Katy Beach. Beach crossed the blue line and stick handled past a defender before firing the shot into the upper left corner of the net. The goal was her fourth of the season. The assist was the first by a PC netminder since Friar great Jana Bugden accomplished the rare feat on March 4, 2006.

Brown almost evened the score at 16:07 when Lacasse came out of the crease and attempted to send the puck down the ice. The errant pass went right to Brown forward Katelyn Landry. Landry shot the puck towards the empty Friar cage but Lacasse made a miraculous diving save with the end of her stick to preserve the second shutout of her career, keeping the Mayor's Cup in Providence's possession for another season.

Lacasse finished with 37 save as she improve to 6-4-0 overall. Stock denied 32 shots but falls to 2-9-1 overall.

The Friars return to action Friday, December 5, when they travel to Maine for a pair of Hockey East contests. Game one begins at 7:00 p.m. on Friday with game two beginning at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.