UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Senior captain Carlie Magier scored her first goal of the year as the Holy Cross women's hockey team fell to Penn State, 5-1, on Friday, Oct. 8 at Pegula Ice Arena.
Magier cashed in on one of her three shots on net, tying a team-high for shots on goal. Senior goaltender Jada Brenon made 38 saves, while rookie defenseman Carmen Elliott blocked five shots for the Crusaders (0-3-0).
Five different skaters recorded a goal for Penn State (1-3-1), while goaltender Josie Bothun stopped 19 of the 20 Holy Cross shots she faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless first, Magier tapped in a pass from senior defenseman Emma Lange to open the scoring for the Crusaders at 6:22 of the second period.
- Penn State responded with two quick goals at 11:11 and 12:39 of the second to take a 2-1 advantage.
- The Nittany Lions used a three-goal third, including back-to-back goals a minute and a half apart, to secure the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Magier leads all active Crusaders with 12 career goals.
- The Crusaders and Nittany Lions round out the weekend series with a 5 p.m. contest on Saturday, Oct. 9.