DURHAM, N.H. - Junior Charlie Kelleher (Longmeadow, Mass.) netted his sixth goal of the season as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team tied No. 7 UMass in front of a crowd of 6,093 fans Saturday night. Junior goalkeeper Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) recorded 26 saves to hold the Minutemen to the draw.
With the tie, UNH takes the regular season series against UMass 2-0-1. The Wildcats, who are 5-1-1 over the last seven games, are now 13-9-2 (7-6-1 HEA), while the Minutemen are 16-8-2 (9-5-2 HEA). UNH only allowed one goal over the two games this weekend versus the Minutemen, as UMass entered the series netting 3.50 goals per game, which ranked ninth in the nation.
The Wildcats will return to action for a home-and-home series with UConn on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1. Friday's game is at the Whittemore Center presented by Tuscan Brands at 7 p.m. as the first 1,000 fans will receive the fourth set of trading cards. Hot dogs will also be $1. The contest on Saturday is at the XL Center at 4 p.m. on NESN. Individual game tickets with affordable options that start as low as $9 and a convenient six-ticket flexible miniplan can be purchased for the season by calling the Whittemore Center Box Office at (603) 862-4000 or by visiting UNHWildcats.com.
Score: New Hampshire 1, UMass 1 (OT)
Records: UNH (13-9-2, 7-6-1 HEA), UMass (16-8-2, 9-5-2 HEA)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020
Time: 7 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With 36.9 seconds left in the first period, Kelleher put the Wildcats ahead with a power play goal buried into the upper glove-side of the net. Junior Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) had a give-and-go pass with sophomore Jackson Pierson (Zionsville, Ind.) and then sent the puck across to Kelleher for him to rip a shot from the faceoff circle.
- After the first period, UMass outshot UNH by a 7-5 margin. The Wildcats went 1-1 on the power play, while the Minutemen went 0-1.
- During the second period, UNH outshot UMass 9-5. Both teams went 0-3 on the power play.
- The Minutemen tied the game up with 5:23 left in the third period off a goal from Jack Suter that entered the upper stick-side of the net. Jake McLaughlin sent a pass up the boards to Bobby Trivigno, who gave the puck to Suter inside for him to take a shot from the slot.
- UMass outshot UNH 14-4 in the third period. The Wildcats went 0-1 on the power play as the Minutemen went 0-4.
- After an overtime period, neither teams were able to net another goal, resulting in a final score of 1-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- UMass outshot UNH by a 27-19 margin.
- Robinson made 26 saves, while Lindberg recorded 18.
- The Wildcats went 1-5 on the power play and the Minutemen went 0-7.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- The Wildcats have scored first 19 times out of the 24 games this season.
- Charlie Kelleher increases his lead in points on the team to 22 with his goal tonight.
- UNH is 4-2-1 against ranked teams this season.
- The Wildcats have a record of 8-2-1 in the Whittemore Center this season.