HAMDEN, Conn. - The ninth-ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats (4-1-0, 0-0-0 ECAC) scored two first period goals and added another pair in the remaining periods to take a 4-0 win over the Vermont Catamounts (1-3-0, 0-1-0) Sunday afternoon at People's United Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Quinnipiac senior Nick Jermain broke the scoring open at 13:11 of the first period with a breakaway goal on Stefanos Lekkas (34 saves). The senior deked from his forehand to backhand and lifted a shot over an outstretched Lekkas.
- Ethan de Jong doubled the Quinnipiac lead with a rebound goal less than three minutes later. Karlis Cutske and Wyatt Bongiovanni assisted on the goal.
- Vermont turned the tide to begin the second period, but an offensive zone penalty put Quinnipiac back in control, and Bongiovanni made it 3-0 Bobcats soon after the penalty expired.
- Bobcat goalie Keith Petruzzelli (21 saves) was strong between the pipes, notably stopping rushes from Derek Lodermeier and William Lemay to keep Vermont off the board.
- Quinnipiac's Joe O'Connor added another on QU's second breakaway of the game. The junior came down the left boards and slotted a shot under Lekkas' blocker. Guus van Nes and Skyler Brind'Amour assisted on the goal.
- Quinnipiac held a 38-22 advantage in shots, highlighted by a 13-3 edge in the first period. Neither team found a special teams goal as Vermont finished 0-for-4 and Quinnipiac 0-for-2 on power play chances.
Vermont hosts UMass Lowell in a pair of Hockey East games next weekend at Gutterson Fieldhouse. The Catamounts take on the River Hawks at 7:05 p.m. on Friday (Nov. 1) and Saturday (Nov. 2). The latter is Vermont's Military Appreciation Night presented by Milton CAT.