PROVIDENCE, R.I. - John Leonard recorded a hat trick to propel No. 8 UMass to a 5-1 victory over the No. 10 Providence College men's hockey team on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 1 | UMass - 5
No. 10 Providence - 14-9-5 (8-8-2 HEAM) | No. 8 UMass - 18-9-2 (11-6-2 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 15 saves
Matt Murray (UM) - 21 saves
- The Minutemen recorded the opening goal 13:11 into the first period to take a 1-0 lead. John Leonard split two defenders before putting his wrist shot over Michael Lackey's (Washington, D.C.) left shoulder.
- Providence outshot UMass, 9-6, through the opening twenty minutes. The Friars failed to convert on three power play chances while the Minutemen saw two power play opportunities in the period.
- UMass notched two goals in the middle frame to take a 3-0 lead into the second intermission. John Leonard scored his second goal of the game, short-handed, 14:53 into the second period.
- Oliver Chau scored the Minutemen's third goal with 1:23 remaining in the second period. Colin Felix earned his third assist of the game on the goal while goalkeeper Matt Murry picked up the secondary assist.
- Providence converted on its fifth power play opportunity of the night, 8:49 into the third period. Jack Dugan (Rochester, N.Y.) dished the puck to Thompson in the center of the left circle who finished a wrist shot to the near side before the goaltender could slide over. The goal marked Thompson's team-high 18th goal of the season, Dugan earned his NCAA leading 37th assist.
- John Leonard scored his third goal of the game with 5:27 remaining to hand UMass a 4-1 lead. UMass added a power play goal just a minute and a half later to build a 5-1 cushion.
- Providence falls to 14-9-5 on the season with an 8-8-2 conference mark.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) - 13:11/1st - EV - John Leonard (Jones, Felix) - Split two defenders at the blue line before putting a wrist shot to the top right of the cage
2-0 (UM) - 14:53/2nd - SH - John Leonard (Felix) - Wrist shot from inside edge of the left circle
3-0 (UM) - 18:37/2nd - EV - Oliver Chau (Felix, Murray) - Chau slid the puck in front of the crease from behind the net off a defender's skate and in
3-1 (PC) - 8:49/3rd - PP - Tyce Thompson (Dugan, Callahan) - Wrist shot from the center of the left circle
4-1 (UM) - 14:33/3rd - EV - John Leonard (Jones, Farmer) - Wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle over Lackey's right shoulder\
5-1 (UM) - 16:03/3rd - PP - Jack Suter (Leonard, Jones) - Tap-in on the far post after a feed from Leonard at the point
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (1)
Assists: Dugan, Callahan (1)
Points: Dugan, Callahan, Thompson (1)
Shots: Thompson (5)
Providence - 1/6
UMass - 1/4
Providence - 22
UMass - 20
The Friars will travel to Burlington, Vt. for a pair of games against the Catamounts on Friday, Feb. 14 and Saturday, Feb. 15. Puck drops are scheduled for 7:05 p.m. in both contests.