BURLINGTON, Vt. - Greg Printz finished off a rebound with 20.4 seconds left in overtime to give the No. 13/15 Providence College men's hockey team a 2-1 win over Lake Superior State on day one of the 2019 Catamount Cup on Saturday (Dec. 28).
Providence - 2 | Lake Superior State - 1 - OT
No. 13/15 Providence - 10-5-3 (6-4-2 HEAM) | Lake Superior State - 6-16-1 (4-9-1 WCHA)
Gutterson Fieldhouse - Burlington, Vt.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 30 saves
Mareks Mitens (LSSU) - 26 saves
- Providence held a 9-7 advantage in shots after 20 minutes of play.
- Senior co-captain Spenser Young struck for his first goal of the season after hammering a feed from Jamie Engelbert past Mitens.
- The teams skated through a scoreless second period but the Friars had multiple golden opportunities during a power play late in the period. Jack Dugan let a shot go that deflected into the air and landed on top of the net right before Patrick Moynihan came streaking down the right wing and ripped a shot off the post.
- The Lakers tied the game on the power play at 6:25 of the third period on Max Humitz's tip in the slot.
- Lackey stood tall in the third period, including a denial on Hampus Eriksson's partial breakaway with under a minute to play in regulation.
- The teams appeared destined for a tie before Greg Printz gained the zone and fed Dugan at the circle. Dugan put a shot on net, Craig Needham got a stuff attempt and Greg Printz finished off the rebound for his 12th goal of the season.
- The goal was Printz's second career overtime winner, scoring in overtime against Northeastern on Jan. 27, 2018.
- Dugan recorded his NCAA-leading 34th point and 28th assist on the game-winning goal. He has points in 15 of 18 games this season.
- Tyce Thompson's point streak ended at a career-long eight games.
- Providence scored first for the 16th time in 18 games this season.
- Nate Leaman moved into sole possession of second place for the most wins by a head coach in program history with 186. Lou Lamoriello tops the program record with 248 wins while at Providence.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 13:33/1st - EV - Spenser Young (Engelbert, Kavanagh) - Pass from Engelbert to Young at the tops of the circles for a one-timer.
1-1 (LSSU) - 6:25/3rd - PP - Max Humitz (Boudon, Oliver) - Shot from Boudon to Humitz in the slot for the re-direct.
2-1 (PC) - 4:39/OT - EV - Greg Printz (Needham, Dugan) - Needham followed up a Dugan shot on goal by driving the net and Printz put back the rebound.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Young, Printz (1)
Assists: Dugan, Engelbert, Kavanagh, Needham (1)
Points: Six players (1)
Shots: Printz (5)
Providence - 0/4
Lake Superior State - 1/4
Providence - 28
Lake Superior State - 31
The Friars conclude the 2019 Catamount Cup on Sunday afternoon against Union College beginning at 4 p.m.