PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Kevin Darrar scored on a breakaway 3:28 into overtime as Holy Cross opened its season with a 3-2 win over the Providence College men's hockey team on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 2 | Holy Cross - 3 - OT
No. 6/7 Providence - 1-1-0 (1-0-0 HEAM) | Holy Cross - 1-0-0 (0-0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 24 saves
Matt Radomsky (HC)- 31 saves
- Greg Printz picked up right where he left off after his career night in the season opener, tallying a career-high four goals. Printz scored 5:17 into the game for his fifth goal of the season to give the Friars a 1-0 lead. Jack Dugan picked up the puck on the goal line before feeding it to Parker Ford in the center of the left circle, Ford slid a pass across the crease to Printz positioned on the left post for a tap-in goal.
- Providence failed to convert on its lone power play in the opening frame, Holy Cross carried its man advantage into the second period as Patrick Moynihan was called for tripping with 32 seconds remaining in the period.
- The Crusaders netted the equalizer just three minutes into the middle stanza. Holy Cross built a three-on-two rush where Mike Higgins played the puck to Andrew Dumaresque on his left side, Dumaresque dished Jake Pappalardo on the inside hashmark of the right circle who finished a wrist shot over Lackey's extended glove. Holy Cross' goal was the first goal allowed by the Friars this season.
- Neither side could capitalize on the power play as Providence was 0-2 entering the second intermission compared to Holy Cross' 0-3 effort.
- Jack Dugan's second goal of the season handed Providence a one-goal lead, 2-1, with 12:39 remaining in the third period. Parker Ford won the face-off in the offensive zone back to Max Crozier, Crozier played the puck to Callahan at the point who fired a wrister that Dugan directed in.
- Andrew Dumaresque evened the game at 2-2 with 23 seconds remaining in final period. Holy Cross played with a 6-on-5 advantage after pulling the goaltender. Neil Robinson played the puck in front to Dumaresque for a one-time finish.
- The Crusaders prevailed 2:57 into the overtime period. Providence turned the puck over in the offensive zone before Nick Hale played a stretch pass to Kevin Darrar on Providence's blue line. Darrar finished the breakaway with a backhand finish.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 5:17/1st - EV - Greg Printz (Ford, Dugan) - Tap-in goal positioned on the left post.
1-1 (HC) - 3:28/2nd - EV - Jake Pappalardo (Dumaresque, Higgins) - Wrist shot from the right circle under the crossbar.
2-1 (PC) - 7:21/3rd - EV - Jack Dugan (Callahan, Crozier) - Re-direct off Callahan's shot from the point.
2-2 (HC) - 19:37/3rd - EV - Andrew Dumaresque (Robinson, Vincent) - Wrist shot from the inside hashmark of the right circle.
3-2 (HC) - 2:57/OT - EV - Kevin Darrar (Hale) - Finished a backhand deke on a breakaway.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Printz, Dugan (1)
Assists: Callahan, Crozier, Dugan, Ford (1)
Points: Dugan (2)
Shots: Moynihan (6)
Providence - 0/3
Holy Cross - 0/4
Providence - 33
Holy Cross - 27
The Friars will host the U.S. National Development Program in exhibition game on Saturday (Oct. 12) at 5 p.m.