PROVIDENCE, R.I. - National scoring leader Jack Dugan recorded two assists, but the Colgate Raiders erased a two-goal deficit in the third period to tie the No. 8/7 Providence College men's hockey team on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 3 | Colgate - 3 - OT
No. 8/7 Providence - 4-2-1 (2-1-0 HEAM) | Colgate - 1-4-3 (0-0-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 38 saves
Mitch Benson (COLG) - 39 saves
- Matt Koopman gave the Friars a 1-0 lead with his second goal in three games as he finished off a Jack Dugan wrap-around attempt past Benson at 4:55.
- Colgate's Arnaud Vachon knotted things up at 13:11 with his second goal of the season.
- Greg Printz notched his seventh goal of the season early in period two to give the Friars a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes.
- Providence killed off a 5-on-3 advantage for Colgate in the second period, the only two power plays the Raiders had on the night.
- Tyce Thompson struck for his sixth goal of the season at 6:02 of the third period to give the Friars some cushion at 3-1.
- Colgate responded with a pair of markers 3:46 apart to even the game at 3-3.
- Michael Lackey finished the night with a season high 38 saves.
- Dugan still holds the NCAA scoring lead with 16 points (4-12-16) in seven games.
- Thompson has posted five goals and four assists during his five-game point streak.
- Providence's last three home games have gone into overtime (0-2-1).
- The Friars recorded 40-plus shots on goal for the fourth time in seven games this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 4:55/1st - EV - Matt Koopman (Dugan, Callahan) - Dugan attempted a wrap-around and Koopman finished off the rebound just above the crease.
1-1 (COLG) - 13:11/1st - EV - Arnaud Vachon (Young, Austin) - Vachon stuffed a loose puck past Lackey's skate and inside the right post.
2-1 (PC) - 1:30/2nd - EV - Greg Printz (Dugan, Ford) - Dugan slipped a backhand pass through two defenders onto the stick of Printz who fired a wrist shot past Benson's glove.
3-1 (PC) - 6:02/3rd - EV - Tyce Thompson (Mirageas, O'Neill) - Mirageas fired a shot wide and the rebound kicked off the end boards to Thompson who finished into an open net.
3-2 (COLG) - 11:03/3rd - EV - Jacob Panetta (McAvoy) - Beat Lackey with a low snap shot cutting across the slot.
3-3 (COLG) - 14:49/3rd - EV - Colton Young (McAvoy, Cosgrove) - Scramble in the slot, Young collected a loose puck and beat Lackey under the blocker.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Matt Koopman, Printz, Thompson (1)
Assists: Dugan (2)
Points: Dugan (2)
Shots: Thompson (7)
Providence - 0/3
Colgate - 0/2
Providence - 42
Colgate - 41
The Friars return to Hockey East play on Saturday night (Nov. 2) against No. 15 Boston College at Schneider Arena.