PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Max Crozier recorded his first two collegiate goals and added an assist, while Jack Dugan added four assists as the No. 11 Providence College men's hockey team edged Boston University, 6-5, at Schneider Arena on Saturday night (Nov. 9).
Providence - 6 | Boston University - 5
No. 11 Providence - 5-3-2 (3-2-1 HEAM) | Boston University - 2-3-4 (1-2-3 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 24 saves
Sam Tucker (BU) - 20 saves; Vinnie Purpura (L) - 8 saves
- Each team found the back of the net twice in the opening period. Michael Callahan got the Friars on the board before a pair from David Farrance gave the Terriers a 2-1 lead. Freshman Jamie Engelbert, playing in his first collegiate game, scored his first career goal at 15:02 of the first period to level the score at 2-2.
- Goals from Max Crozier and Parker Ford in the second period gave the Friars a 4-2 lead, but BU responded with goals from Trevor Zegras and Farrance's hat trick marker to even the game at 4-4.
- Tyce Thompson re-gained the lead for Providence with his eighth strike of the season at 13:45 of the second period.
- Crozier's second of the night, the eventual game-winner pushed the Providence lead to 6-4 at 2:57 of the third period.
- Ethan Phillips cut the deficit to 6-5 with 6:08 remaining.
- Dugan still holds the NCAA scoring lead with 24 points (5-19-24) in 10 games and has posted multi-point efforts in nine of 10 games, including his six-game point streak (2-13-15). Tyce Thompson chipped in a goal and an assist to rank second in the nation in scoring with eight goals and eight assists for 16 points.
- Defenseman Michael Callahan has two goals and seven assists during his six-game point streak.
- Friar freshman have accounted for four of the team's five game-winning goals this season.
- Providence held the Terriers to zero shots with the extra attacker.
- The Friars lead the NCAA in power play goals with 14 and rank third in power play percentage (.326).
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 11:31/1st - PP - Michael Callahan (Thompson, Dugan) - One-timer from the point.
1-1 (BU) - 11:57/1st - EV - David Farrance (Witkowski, Boguslavsky) - Wrist shot from the point through traffic.
2-1 (BU) - 14:34/1st - PP - David Farrance (Zegras, Mastrosimone) - Pass from Zegras at the top of the slot to Farrance who beat Lackey with a low shot.
2-2 (PC) - 15:02/1st - EV - Jamie Engelbert (Crozier, Dugan) - Crozier intentionally wide with a shot that banked off the end boards right to Engelbert for the tap-in.
3-2 (PC) - 4:10/2nd - PP - Max Crozier (Dugan, Callahan) - Re-direct of a Dugan pass at the top of the crease.
4-2 (PC) - 7:30/2nd - PP - Parker Ford (O'Neill, Sukumaran) - Scramble in the crease, Ford's second chance got past Tucker.
4-3 (BU) - 8:25/2nd - EV - Trevor Zegras (Harper, Farrance) - Centering feed from Harper to Zegras at the right circle for a one-timer.
4-4 (BU) - 12:27/2nd - PP - David Farrance (Zegras, Fensore) - Shot from the point to complete the hat trick.
5-4 (PC) - 13:45/2nd - EV - Tyce Thompson (O'Neill, Johnson) - O'Neill re-directed a shot from the point from Johnson and Thompson cleaned up the rebound.
6-4 (PC) - 2:57/3rd - EV - Max Crozier (Dugan, Ford) - Drop pass from Dugan to Crozier and his slap shot broke through the pad of Purpura.
6-5 (BU) - 12:52/3rd - EV - Ethan Phillips (McCarthy, Mastrosimone) - Scramble in the crease, Phillips put back his own rebound.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Crozier (2)
Assists: Dugan (4)
Points: Dugan (4)
Shots: Thompson (4)
Providence - 3/4
Boston University - 2/5
Providence - 34
Boston University - 29
The Friars open up a home-and-home series against Northeastern next Friday night at Schneider Arena.