TEMPE, Ariz. - Ace Cowans and Vlad Dzhioshvili tallied power play goals 5:04 apart in the second period to tie the game at 2-2 as the Catamounts handed the Arizona State Sun Devils their first tie of the season Saturday night at Oceanside Ice Arena.
Vermont moves to 1-9-2 overall while Arizona State moves to 7-4-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jack Judson put the Sun Devils ahead at 15:58 of the first period with a transition goal. Brett Gruber found Judson with a saucer pass through the neutral zone to spring the defenseman for the goal.
- Austin Lemieux deflected a Judson blue line shot past Lekkas to put the Sun Devils up 2-0 at 7:22 of the second.
- Ace Cowans scored his second goal in as many nights at 11:32 of the second period to pull Vermont within a goal. Andrew Lucas and Vlad Dzhioshvili assisted on the power play goal.
- Dzhioshvili tied the game at 16:36 of the second with UVM's second power play goal of the night. Johnny DeRoche skated around the ASU cage with speed and found Dzhioshvili in front of the net for the quick goal.
- ASU's Josh Maniscalco broke through the defense and powered the puck to the back of the net as it fell off its moorings with 2:39 remaining in overtime. Initially called a goal, a video review determined the net moved first and play continued.
- Stefanos Lekkas finished with 27 saves and Evan DeBrouwer tallied 24 saves in a goaltending battle throughout the game.
- Dzhioshvili and Cowans each scored the first power play goal of his career in the tie. Dzhioshvili matched a career high with two points.
- William Lemay recorded his fourth assist of the season to move into a tie with classmate Jacques Bouquot for second on the team.
- Vermont tallied two power play goals in a game for the second time this season and second consecutive Saturday. UVM found the net twice on the power play in last Saturday's tie at Boston University.
Vermont returns to Hockey East play with a road series at UConn (5-6-3, 2-4-2 HEA) next Friday (Dec. 6) and Saturday (Dec. 7) at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut. Friday's game is scheduled to begin at 7:05 p.m. and Saturday's tilt will begin at 3:35 p.m.