SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - NCAA scoring leaders Jack Dugan (four assists) and Tyce Thompson (two goals) powered the No. 12 Providence College men's hockey team past American International College, 5-0, on Thursday night at MassMutual Center.
Providence - 5 | AIC - 0
No. 12 Providence - 12-5-5 (6-4-2 HEAM) | AIC - 9-11-1 (9-5-1 AHC)
MassMutual Center - Springfield, Mass.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 20 saves; Gabe Mollot-Hill - 0 saves
Stefano Durante (AIC) - 36 saves; Jarrett Fiske - 0 saves
- Providence carried play in the first period, outshooting the Yellow Jackets by a 16-2 margin.
- Tyce Thompson got the scoring started at 14:26 of the first period with his 16th tally of the season. Greg Printz earned the assist on the play.
- A pair of goals just 1:44 apart in the second period gave the Friars insurance at 3-0. Thompson's second of the night and NCAA-leading 17th of the season and Luke Johnson's second goal in three games rounded out the scoring in the middle period.
- Michael Callahan's fifth and Matt Koopman's third strikes of the year pushed the Friars' lead to 5-0.
- Dugan recorded his NCAA-leading 41st point with his fourth assist of the game on Matt Koopman's goal in the third period and his 14th multi-point game of the season.
- Tyce Thompson now has 12 multi-point games this season and 19 games of at least one point.
- Co-captain Michael Callahan recorded his sixth multi-point game of the season with a goal and assist and now has 21 points in 22 games this season.
- Michael Lackey stopped all 20 shots he faced as he and Gabe Mollot-Hill combined for Providence's third shutout of the season.
- With two assists, freshman Parker Ford registered his sixth multi-point game of the season.
- Providence scored first for the 20th time in 22 games this season.
- The Friars extended their unbeaten streak to six games with the win (4-0-2).
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 14:26/1st - SH - Tyce Thompson (Printz) - Printz rushed down the left wing and put a shot on goal from a bad angle. Thompson batted the rebound out of the air into the back of the net.
2-0 (PC) - 5:18/2nd - PP - Tyce Thompson (Dugan, Callahan) - One-timer from the left circle.
3-0 (PC) - 7:02/2nd - EV - Luke Johnson (Dugan, Ford) - Tip-in from the low slot off a feed from Dugan.
4-0 (PC) - 7:11/3rd - EV - Michael Callahan (Dugan, Ford) - Shot from the point through a screen.
5-0 (PC) - 13:17/3rd - EV - Matt Koopman (Dugan, Bunz) - Dugan fired a shot from the slot and Koopman finished the rebound at the top of the crease.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (2)
Assists: Dugan (4)
Points: Dugan (4)
Shots: Moynihan (7)
Providence - 1/6
AIC - 0/5
Providence - 41
AIC - 20
The Friars return to action on Saturday for a 5 p.m. puck drop against UConn at Schneider Arena.