|1st||3:14||PRV||1-0||EV||Scott Conway (13)||Greg Printz/6, Brandon Duhaime/18|
|1st||8:20||PRV||2-0||PP||Brandon Duhaime (6)||Spenser Young/9, Ben Mirageas/11|
|1st||18:52||PRV||3-0||PP GW||Josh Wilkins (15)||Brian Pinho/19|
|2nd||1:08||MNE||1-3||PP||Eduards Tralmaks (11)||Brady Keeper/15, Mitchell Fossier/22|
|2nd||1:53||MNE||2-3||EV||Nolan Vesey (11)||Brady Keeper/16, Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi/5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Jeremy Swayman (L, 15-12-3)||58:33||3||15||10||13||38|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 22-10-3)||60:00||2||5||5||4||14|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 9/10 Providence College men's hockey team swept the University of Maine Black Bears with a 3-2 win in Game Two of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on March 10 at Schneider Arena.
No. 9/10 Providence - 3 | Maine - 2
Providence - 22-10-4 (13-7-4 HEA) | Maine - 18-16-4 (10-11-3 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 14 saves
Jeremy Swayman (UM) - 38 saves
- The Friars picked up where they left off last night, opening the game with intensity. Scott Conway got Providence on the board just 3:14 in with a nice slap shot from the slot. His goal, which was his 13th of the season and second of the weekend, was assisted by Greg Printz and Brandon Duhaime.
- Duhaime notched a goal of his own on the power play at the 8:20 mark of the period. Spenser Young received a pass from Ben Mirageas, skated below the goal line and fed Duhaime in front for the wrister.
- The two points in tonight's game tie Duhaime's career high. He has now had six two-point performances in his career.
- The Friars appeared to have scored a third goal just a few minutes later, but it was ruled no goal after a review due to goaltender interference.
- With time winding down in the opening frame, Providence did tally that third goal. The Friars forecheck won the puck back in the offensive zone and Brian Pinho fed the puck cross-ice to Josh Wilkins. He took a wrist shot from the top of the right circle that managed to trickle through the pads of Jeremy Swayman and find the back of the net.
- With two power play goals tonight, the Friars have now recorded multiple power-play tallies in six games this season. It is the first time all season that the team has converted on every power play chance in a game.
- Maine wasted no time clawing back into the game in the second period. Eduards Tralmaks scored a power-play goal 1:08 into the middle stanza to make it 3-1. Brady Keeper and Mitchell Fossier earned assists on the play, which was a redirect from the side of the cage.
- 45 seconds later, Nolan Vesey trimmed the Friars' lead to one. Keeper's shot from the point was blocked, but Vesey picked up the puck during the scramble in front and buried it.
- Jeremy Swayman finished the game with 38 saves and a two-game total of 75. Hayden Hawkey made 14 saves and had a two-game total of 35.
- The Friars have now won 14-consecutive games against the Black Bears and hold claim to an 18-game unbeaten streak against Maine (17-0-1).
- Coach Nate Leaman picked up his 150th win at Providence. He is the fastest coach to 150 wins in the program's history.
- Providence advanced to its fifth semifinal appearance in the last seven seasons.
- Hayden Hawkey moved to sole possession of fourth on the program's all-time wins list with his 46th career win on Saturday night.
- The Friars won the season series over next Friday's opponent, Northeastern, 1-0-1.
- Providence out-shot the Black Bears by an 82-40 margin over the two-game series.
- The Friars extended their home playoff winning streak to six games and improved to 9-5 all-time against Maine in the postseason.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 3:14/1st - EV - Scott Conway (Printz, Duhaime) - Slap shot from the slot.
2-0 (Providence) - 8:20/1st - PP - Brandon Duhaime (Young, Mirageas) - Young passed out front from below the goal line to Duhaime for wrist shot at the bottom of the circle.
3-0 (Providence) - 18:52/1st - PP - Josh Wilkins (Pinho) - Cross-ice pass from Pinho to Wilkins for the wrist shot at the top of the right circle.
3-1 (Maine) - 1:08/2nd - PP - Eduards Tralmaks (Keeper, Fossier) - Redirect from the side of the cage.
3-2 (Maine) - 1:53/2nd - EV - Nolan Vesey (Keeper, Tiuraniemi) - Cleaned up the loose puck after a blocked shot.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Conway, Duhaime, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Printz, Duhaime, Young, Mirageas, Pinho (1)
Points: Duhaime (2)
Shots: Duhaime (6)
Providence - 2/2
Maine - 1/1
Providence - 41
Maine - 16
The Friars will face the No. 2-seeded Northeastern Huskies in the Hockey East Semifinal next Friday night (March 16) at TD Garden in Boston, Mass. Puck drop is set for 8:00 p.m.