|1st||5:48||UNH||1-0||EV||Brendan van Riemsdyk (1)||Liam Blackburn/2, Benton Maass/4|
|1st||18:08||UNH||2-0||EV||Michael McNicholas (1)||Charlie Kelleher/3, Richard Boyd/1|
|2nd||0:38||CLG||1-2||PP||Mike Panowyk (2)||Nick Austin/1, Hunter Racine/1|
|2nd||1:36||UNH||3-1||EV||Jason Salvaggio (2)||Michael McNicholas/3, Charlie Kelleher/4|
|2nd||11:05||CLG||2-3||EV||Adam Dauda (1)||Paul McAvoy/1|
|2nd||15:08||UNH||4-2||EV GW||Shane Eiserman (3)||Ara Nazarian/2, Benton Maass/5|
|3rd||9:36||CLG||3-4||EV||Nick Austin (3)||Bobby McMann/2, Josh McKechney/3|
|3rd||19:57||UNH||5-3||EV EN||Jason Salvaggio (3)||Marcus Vela/1, Michael McNicholas/4|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|New Hampshire (4-0-0)||0/3||7/14||0|
|Zac Hamilton (L, 0-1-0)||59:05||4||15||7||8||30|
|New Hampshire Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Daniel Tirone (W, 4-0-0)||59:57||3||7||9||7||23|
DURHAM, N.H. - Ten different players registered at least one point for the Wildcats including senior Michael McNicholas (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) who recorded one goal and two assists for three points and senior Jason Salvaggio (Hanson, Mass.) who recorded two goals as UNH defeated Colgate 5-3 on Saturday night at the Whittemore Center.
With the win, the Wildcats have begun the season 4-0-0 for the first time since the 2012-2013 season. UNH returns to action when it host Colorado College on Friday and Saturday, October 20 and 21 at 7:00 p.m. The games will be broadcast live on ESPN3. You can purchase tickets at the Whittemore Center Box Office, online at UNHWildcats.com or by calling 603-862-4000.
Score: #20 New Hampshire 5, Colgate 3 Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center) Records: UNH (4-0-0, 2-0-0 Hockey East); Colgate (2-2-1, 0-0-0 ECAC) Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017 Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- UNH scored first at 5:48 of the first period as sophomore Brendan van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) fired a shot from close range off of a pass from fellow sophomore Liam Blackburn (Prince George, B.C.). Freshman Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.) also recorded an assist on the play.
- The Wildcats got out to a 2-0 lead at 18:08 of the first period with the first goal of the season for senior McNicholas. He took a one-timer off of a pass from freshman Charlie Kelleher (Longmeadow, Mass.). Kelleher and senior Richard Boyd (Delray Beach, Fla.) were credited with assists on the play.
- Colgate posted its first goal of the weekend series just 38 seconds into the second period as Mike Panowyk put it in off an assist from Nick Austin.
- UNH rebounded quickly as Salvaggio blasted a shot in the top-right corner of the net at 1:36 of the second period. McNicholas and Kelleher were credited with assists on the play.
- Colgate cut UNH's lead to one as Adam Dauda (Kitchener, Ontario) scored his first of the season off of assists from Ben Sharf and Paul McAvoy at 11:05 of the second period.
- Senior Shane Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass.) scored next for the Wildcats as he sniped one in the top-left corner of the net at 15:08 of the second period. Junior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) and Maass recorded assists on the goal.
- Colgate cut UNH's lead to one as Austin scored off of assists from Bobby McMann and Josh McKechney.
- With three seconds remaining in the game, Salvaggio scored an empty net goal for UNH off of assists from junior Marcus Vela (Burnaby, B.C.) and McNicholas.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- UNH goalie Danny Tirone had gone 126 minutes without letting up a goal prior to the first one for Colgate.
- The Wildcats outshot Colgate, 35-26.
- Colgate won 34 faceoffs, compared to 31 for UNH.
- UNH's Tirone saved 23 shots, while Colgate's Zac Hamilton saved 30.
- On all five of UNH's goals, two players recorded an assist.
- Ten different players registered points for the Wildcats
- McNicholas recorded three points, while Salvaggio, Kelleher, and Maass each recorded two.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The victory marks the first time the Wildcats have opened the season 4-0-0 since the 2012-13 season.
- New Hampshire improves to 27-10-2 all time versus Colgate with the victory.
- UNH returns to action when it hosts Colorado College on Friday and Saturday October 20 and 21 at 7:00 p.m. on ESPN3.