|1st||11:24||UNI||1-0||PP||Brett Supinksi (1)||Anthony Rinaldi/1, J.C. Brassard/1|
|1st||13:40||BU||1-1||PP||Patrick Harper (1)||Jordan Greenway/1, Nikolas Olsson/1|
|3rd||12:11||BU||2-1||PP GW||Dante Fabbro (1)||Patrick Harper/1, Chad Krys/1|
|3rd||18:46||BU||3-1||EV EN||Patrick Harper (2)||-|
|3rd||19:49.9||BU||4-1||EV EN||Shane Bowers (1)||Brady Tkachuk/1, Nikolas Olsson/2|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (1-0-0)||2/5||7/14||0|
|Jake Kupsky (L, 0-1-0)||58:33||2||12||11||16||39|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (W, 1-0-0)||59:52||1||8||12||11||31|
BOSTON - Sophomore Patrick Harper recorded two goals and set up classmate Dante Fabbro's game winner as the No. 2 Boston University men's ice hockey team kicked off its 2017-18 season with a 4-1 home victory over No. 16 Union.
Final Score: #2/2 Boston University 4, #16/NR Union 1
Records: BU (1-0-0), Union (0-1-0)
Location: Agganis Arena - Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded power-play goals in the opening period with the visitors striking first at 11:24 on a tally by Brett Supinski.
- Just over two minutes later, Harper answered with a man-up goal of his own, elevating a rebound at the left post on assists from junior Jordan Greenway and senior Nikolas Olsson.
- After no scoring occurred in the middle stanza, the Terriers once again used their power play to score the go-ahead goal with 7:49 remaining in regulation.
- Harper threaded a pass through traffic to set up a one-timer by Fabbro from the left circle that the sophomore blueliner deposited to take a 2-1 lead.
- Harper and freshman Shane Bowers added empty-netters to secure the victory with the rookie notching his first goal as a Terrier.
- The Terriers held a 43-32 shot advantage, forcing junior netminder Jake Kupsky to record 39 saves for the Dutchmen.
- Sophomore Jake Oettinger recorded 31 saves for BU and stopped the final 27 shots he faced.
- BU was 2-for-5 on the power play and killed off three of Union's four chances with the man advantage.
- Freshman Brady Tkachuk picked up his first collegiate point when he assisted on Bowers' empty-netter.
- Sophomore Chad Krys picked up the second helper on Fabbro's game winner.
- BU is now 66-23-7 all-time in season openers.
- The Terriers improve to 2-1-1 against Union and all four meetings have taken place since 2015.
FROM COACH QUINN
"It was a great hockey win. I think this time of year every coach is trying to find out what the team's personality is and what the makeup is. Going into this game, I was very curious to see what we would look like, and I really liked our pace. I thought there was a physicality to us for the most part and we played a much better north/south game than we have in the past."
- The Terriers will return to action on Sunday (Oct. 1) when they host Prince Edward Island in an exhibition contest.
- Game time is set for 5 p.m.