|2nd||1:53||PRV||1-0||EV GW||Vimal Sukumaran (2)||-|
|2nd||11:18||PRV||2-0||PP||Erik Foley (3)||Jacob Bryson/5, Josh Wilkins/4|
|2nd||12:11||PRV||3-0||EV||Brandon Duhaime (2)||Kasper Björkqvist/1, Scott Conway/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (3-4-1)||0/5||8/16||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 3-4-1)||59:41||3||15||5||8||28|
|Hayden Hawkey (W, 5-2-0)||59:55||0||9||8||5||22|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Hayden Hawkey recorded his fifth career shutout as the No. 11/10 Providence College men's hockey team blanked No. 6 Boston University, 3-0, on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 11/10 Providence - 3 | No. 6/6 Boston University - 0
Providence - 5-2-0 (2-1-0 HEA) | Boston University - 3-4-1 (1-1-1 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hawkey (PC) - 22 saves
Oettinger (BU) - 28 saves
- After the first period, the Friars led 15-9 in shots.
- Sophomore Jake Oettinger made 15 first-period saves for the Terriers.
- Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) made nine first-period saves. His two biggest of the period came with the glove on back-to-back bids by Shane Bowers right in front of goal.
- Sophomore Vimal Sukumaran scored his second goal of the season just 1:53 into the second frame. A BU defensemen left the puck at the side of the net where Sukumaran picked it up and tucked it away for the 1-0 lead.
- The Friars took advantage of a 4-on-3 opportunity and doubled their lead at the just over midway through the second. Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) received a pass from Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and took a wrist shot from the slot that beat Oettinger over the blocker. Josh Wilkins (Raleigh, N.C.) was credited with the secondary assist.
- Just under a minute later, as the Terriers second penalty was expiring, Providence struck again. Brandon Duhaime (Parkland, Fla.) stuffed the puck home from the goal line on the short side to make it 3-0. Sophomore Kasper Bjorkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and junior Scott Conway (Basingstoke, England) earned assists on the play.
- Hawkey finished the night with 22 saves in his first shutout of the season. The shutout was the fifth of his career.
- Hawkey stopped 45-of-46 shots he faced on the weekend.
- Providence held the fifth-ranked power play in the nation to a 0-for-5 effort on Saturday night.
- Providence shutout Boston University for the first time since Feb. 6, 2004. The Friars snapped a four-game winless streak against the Terriers (0-1-3) dating back to the 2015 National Championship game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 1:53/2nd - EV - Vimal Sukumaran (unassisted) - Giveaway by BU on the side of the net.
2-0 (Providence) - 11:18/2nd - PP (4x3) - Erik Foley, assisted by Jacob Bryson and Josh Wilkins - Wrist shot from the slot.
3-0 (Providence) - 12:11/2nd - EV - Brandon Duhaime, assisted by Kasper Bjorkqvist and Scott Conway - Stuffed home on the short side.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Sukumaran, Foley, Duhaime (1)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Seven different players (1)
Shots: Jacob Bryson (6)
Providence - 1/6
Boston University - 0/5
Providence - 31
Boston University - 22
The Friars and Terriers clash again next Friday (Nov. 3) at Agganis Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:30 p.m.