|2nd||6:39||MNE||1-0||PP GW||Nolan Vesey (8)||Brendan Robbins/5, Tim Doherty/9|
|2nd||11:35||MNE||2-0||EV||Ryan Smith (2)||Eduards Tralmaks/8, Patrick Holway/10|
|3rd||11:46||MNE||3-0||EV||Brendan Robbins (7)||Canon Pieper/7, Nolan Vesey/5|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (8-11-1)||0/4||6/12||0|
|Jeremy Swayman (W, 8-3-1)||60:00||0||8||9||14||31|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 7-10-1)||60:00||3||14||16||4||34|
BOSTON, Mass. - The Boston University men's ice hockey team returned to action on Saturday evening following a four-week break and dropped a 3-0 contest to visiting Maine.
The Black Bears used a 31-save shutout from freshman Jeremy Swayman to stretch their unbeaten streak to eight (7-0-1) and win streak to six. The Terriers move to 8-11-1 overall and 6-7-1 in Hockey East play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- All four of Maine's power-play chances on the night came in the second period and Nolan Vesey opened the scoring on the first one at 6:39 of the stanza.
- Less than five minutes later, a redirect from the stick of Ryan Smith pushed the visitor's lead to 2-0.
- The Terriers tried to get back into the contest but could not solve Swayman and the Maine defense.
- Brendan Robbins ended any hopes of a comeback with a tally at 11:46 of the third to create the 3-0 final.
- All of Maine's goals came in transition, beginning with a cross-slot pass by Robbins that Vesey deposited at the left crease.
- From the left half-wall, Eduards Tralmaks sent the puck towards the net before Smith tipped it in to double the lead.
- The Black Bears' third goal came moments after they killed off a BU power play and they set up an odd-man rush that Robbins converted off a pass by Canon Pieper.
- Maine held a 37-31 shot advantage as sophomore Jake Oettinger turned in a 34-save performance for the Terriers.
- Each team had four power-play chances with Vesey's game winner being the only conversion.
- Vessel and Robbins each tallied a goal and an assist.
- Senior Drew Melanson and junior Jordan Greenway led the Terriers in shots on goal with six apiece.
- The Black Bears took the season series, two games to one, following a split in Maine back on Nov. 17-18.
BU returns to action on Friday (Jan. 12) went they visit No. 20 New Hampshire.
Game time at the Whittemore Center is set for 7 p.m.