|1st||5:12||MIC||1-0||EV||Quinn Hughes (5)||Michael Pastujov/4, Jack Becker/5|
|1st||12:26||BU||1-1||EV||Jordan Greenway (13)||Brady Tkachuk/23|
|1st||15:21||MIC||2-1||PP||Tony Calderone (24)||Cooper Marody/34, Joseph Cecconi/21|
|2nd||1:57||MIC||3-1||EV||Brendan Warren (9)||Josh Norris/15, Jake Slaker/12|
|2nd||11:08||BU||2-3||EV||Patrick Curry (4)||Cam Crotty/7, Chad Krys/20|
|3rd||3:30||BU||3-3||EV||Drew Melanson (6)||Jordan Greenway/22|
|3rd||6:27||MIC||4-3||EV GW||Jake Slaker (15)||-|
|3rd||16:18||MIC||5-3||EV||Nicholas Boka (1)||Dexter Dancs/15, Jack Becker/6|
|3rd||18:18||MIC||6-3||EV EN||Nick Pastujov (4)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston University (22-14-4)||0/2||2/4||0|
|Boston University Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jake Oettinger (L, 21-13-4)||58:55||5||8||6||2||16|
|Hayden Lavigne (W, 18-10-3)||60:00||3||8||8||8||24|
WORCESTER, Mass. - The No. 13 Boston University men's ice hockey team came up just short its it bid to reach this year's Frozen Four, dropping a 6-3 contest to No. 10 Michigan on Sunday at the NCAA Northeast Regional final at the DCU Center.
Senior Drew Melanson, junior Jordan Greenway and sophomore Patrick Curry scored goals for the fourth-seeded Terriers, who finish the season with a record of 22-14-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers rallied from a 3-1 deficit to tie the game on a goal by Melanson off a Michigan turnover at 3:30 of the third period.
- Michigan, however, regained the lead for good on Jake Slaker's game winner with 13:33 to play and advanced to the Frozen Four for the second consecutive season.
- The Wolverines never trailed, opening the scoring just 5:12 into the game off a tally by Quinn Hughes.
- Greenway tied up the game just over seven minutes later after skating in through the left circle and picking out the top corner above Hayden Lavigne's left shoulder for his 13th goal of the season.
- A power-play goal by Michigan's Tony Calderone made it 2-1 at 15:21 of the first and the Wolverines doubled their lead when Brendan took advantage of an awkward bounce off the end boards to create a 3-1 advantage just 1:57 into the middle stanza.
- A wraparound goal by Curry at 11:08 of the second gave the Terriers some life and made it a 3-2 affair after two.
- The Terriers intercepted an outlet pass and got to work in the offensive end. Eventually Michigan blocked a Cam Crotty shot, but Curry grabbed the loose puck, skated hard around the cage and backhanded the puck home for his fourth goal of the campaign. Sophomore Chad Krys also assisted on the goal.
- BU started off the third period strong and was rewarded with the Melanson tally. After Greenway blocked a Michigan outlet pass, Melanson picked up the puck, skated in on Lavigne and calmly slid the puck into the back of the net.
- Slaker decisive shot from the high slot went off a BU shin pad and in before with the Wolverines added an insurance goal with 3:42 remaining in regulation and an empty-net goal with just 1:42 on the clock.
- Melanson finished the campaign with four goals in his last six games. He recorded at least one point in each of the last four games and in five of the Terriers' six postseason contests.
- Greenway notched a point in nine of his final 10 games (5g, 7a), including an eight-game point streak that was snapped on Saturday. Sunday was his third multi-point game of the postseason.
- Two of Curry's four goals this season came during the playoffs.
- Junior Bobo Carpenter (20g, 15a) and Greenway (13g, 22a) each finished the year tied for the team lead with 35 points. Tkachuk led BU with 23 assists, including a helper on Greenway's goal on Sunday.
- BU held a 27-22 shot advantage and got a 16-save performance from sophomore Jake Oettinger.
RUN COMES TO AN END
- The Terriers put together a memorable postseason run as they entered Sunday's contest on a nation-best eight-game unbeaten streak (7-0-1).
- BU captured its ninth Hockey East tournament crown to qualify for the NCAA tournament for the fourth straight season.