|1st||3:57||MER||1-0||PP||Marc Biega (1)||Logan Coomes/1, Ludvig Larsson/1|
|2nd||2:15||MER||2-0||SH||Hampus Gustafsson (2)||-|
|2nd||2:33||CLG||1-2||PP||Sebastian Weberg (1)||Jared Cockrell/1, Ross Craig/2|
|2nd||17:31||MER||3-1||EV||Jace Hennig (1)||Tyler Drevitch/1, Ethan Spaxman/1|
|3rd||1:21||CLG||2-3||EV||Jared Cockrell (1)||Adam Dauda/3, Brett Corkey/1|
|3rd||10:01||MER||4-2||EV GW||Ludvig Larsson (1)||Logan Coomes/2, Johnathan Kovacevic/2|
|3rd||11:07||CLG||3-4||EV||Hunter Racine (1)||Adam Dauda/4, Brett Corkey/2|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Charlie Finn (L, 0-2-1)||59:28||4||8||11||5||24|
|Drew Vogler (W, 1-2-0)||60:00||3||4||11||11||26|
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - The Merrimack College men's ice hockey team secured its first win of the season after dispatching Colgate University, 4-3, in the opener of a two-game Homecoming Weekend set on Friday night at Lawler Rink.
Score: Merrimack 4, Colgate 3
Records: Merrimack (1-3-0, 0-0-0 HEA) | Colgate (0-2-2, 0-0-0 ECAC)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
Game Duration: 2:30
How It Happened
- After fending off an early Colgate power play, Merrimack capitalized on its first man advantage of the night, as junior Marc Biega (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) fired in a slapper from above the far circle for his first tally of the season, giving the Warriors their first lead at any point so far this season at 3:57 of the first period.
- Early in the second, Merrimack doubled its lead on its first shorthanded tally of the year, as senior Hampus Gustafsson (Ljungby, Sweden) stole the puck at the defensive blue line and went the distance to make it a 2-0 lead for the Warriors.
- Colgate needed only 18 seconds to answer, as the Raiders - while on the power play - trimmed the deficit to 2-1 off a Sebastian Weberg strike at 2:33.
- Junior Jace Hennig (Port Moody, British Columbia) accounted for the first even-strength goal of the night at the 17:31 mark of the middle stanza to restore the Warriors' two-goal lead, as the winger picked up his own rebound and found the net from the bottom of the right circle to give the hosts a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.
- Colgate got to within a goal again just 1:21 into the third after Jared Cockrell buried his first of the season; both sides then traded power play chances but came up empty to keep the margin separated by a goal entering the final 10 minutes of regulation.
- Sophomore Ludvig Larsson (Malmo, Sweden) picked up a rebound and tickled the twine just past the midpoint of the final stanza for a huge insurance tally and one that ultimately proved to be the game-winner, as Colgate answered just over a minute later to get to within one again but got no closer as the hosts held on for the victory.
MC #1 (Biega/Coomes/L. Larsson) | P1 3:57 (PP) - Ludvig Larsson wraps the puck around from the left wing boards to the right wing, where Logan Coomes taps it back to Biega, who scores off a slap shot from between the blue line and the top of the far circle.
MC #2 (Gustafsson) | P2 2:15 (SH) - Hampus Gustafsson steals the puck at the defensive blue line and skates the length of the ice down the left wing side before tucking the puck through goaltender Charlie Finn's shoulder pads and in.
CU #1 (Weberg/Cockrell/Craig) | P2 2:33 (PP) - Puck played into the near side corner; pass to the top of the near circle for a one-timer shot and goal.
MC #3 (Hennig/Drevitch/Spaxman) | P2 17:31 - Spaxman plays the puck up from inside his own blue line up to Hennig, who takes off down the left wing and takes a shot that Finn saves; Hennig pushes the rebound toward the net and ricochets off Tyler Drevitch's stick, through traffic, and out to the bottom of the right circle where Hennig, who circled behind the net, fires a one-timer from.
CU #2 (Cockrell/Dauda/Corkey) | P3 1:21
MC #4 (L. Larsson/Coomes/Kovacevic) | P3 10:01 - Puck played off the right wing end boards by Kovacevic, picked up by Coomes in the near circle who fires a shot in the slot; Larsson picks up the rebound in front and tucks it in past an outstretched Finn at the edge of the crease.
CU #3 (Racine/Dauda/Corkey) | P3 11:07 - One-timer slap shot from the top of the right wing circle.
Seney | Kramer | Tibbet
Hennig | Gustafsson | Irvine
Coomes | L. Larsson| Tavernier
Babcock | Petti | Drevitch
Biega | Kovacevic
Kolquist | Titcomb
Spaxman | Lashyn
Game Leaders (MC // CU)
Points: Logan Coomes/Ludvig Larsson (2) // Three tied (2)
Goals: Four tied (1) // Three tied (1)
Assists: Logan Coomes (2) // Brett Corkey/Adam Dauda (2)
Shots: Hampus Gustafsson/Marc Biega (3) // Willie Brooks (4)
Faceoffs Won: Hampus Gustafsson (9) // Adam Dauda (15)
Saves: Drew Vogler (26-for-29) // Charlie Finn (24-for-28)
Facts and Figures (MC // CU)
Power Plays: 1-11 // 1-7
Penalties: 12 Penalties - 24 Minutes // 8 Penalties - 16 Minutes
Faceoffs: 26 // 40
SOG: 9-4 // 13-12 // 6-13 // 28-29
Merrimack and Colgate will return to Lawler Rink on Saturday (Oct. 22) to round out the two-game Homecoming Weekend set. Puck drop from Lawler Rink is set for 7 p.m.