|2nd||17:14||UML||1-0||PP||Chris Forney (3)||Ryan Lohin/13, Dylan Zink/20|
|3rd||0:25||BC||1-1||EV||Austin Cangelosi (17)||Matthew Gaudreau/24, Michael Kim/13|
|3rd||3:34||UML||2-1||EV GW||Joe Gambardella (16)||John Edwardh/15, C.J. Smith/24|
|3rd||13:15||UML||3-1||EV||C.J. Smith (18)||John Edwardh/16, Joe Gambardella/28|
|3rd||16:31||UML||4-1||EV||Joe Gambardella (17)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|UMass Lowell (21-9-3)||1/5||5/10||0|
|Boston College (18-13-4)||0/4||6/12||0|
|UMass Lowell Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Tyler Wall (W, 20-8-1)||59:51||1||9||10||9||28|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Joseph Woll (L, 14-11-3)||59:54||4||10||5||5||20|
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Senior forward Joe Gambardella had two goals and an assist to lead UMass Lowell to a 4-1 win against Boston College on Thursday evening at Kelley Rink.
No. 8 UMass Lowell - 4 / No. 14 Boston College - 1
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum / Chestnut Hill, Mass.
UMass Lowell (21-9-3 / 13-7-1) / No. 7 Boston College - (18-13-4 / 13-5-3)
BC HIGHLIGHTS & GAME NOTES
- Austin Cangelosi is currently on a three-game goal-scoring streak. The Estero, Fla. native is up to 17 goals on the season and 53 for his career.
- The Eagles can still clinch a share of the Hockey East regular season title with a win tomorrow at UMass Lowell. Boston University would need to win both if its games against Notre Dame to claim the No. 1 seed if BC were to defeat Lowell tomorrow.
FIRST GOAL (1-0 - UML) SECOND PERIOD - Chris Forney - 17:14 - POWER PLAY
- UMass Lowell broke the scoreless stand off on the power play with 2:46 to go in the second period. The River Hawks utilized a cycle up top, starting off with Dylan Zink's pass to Chris Forney atop the circles. Forney bounced it over to Ryan Lohin on the far boards who quickly relayed it back for the one-timer. Forney blasted it through the slot, bouncing it off the traffic in front over Joseph Woll's glove at 17:14 for the 1-0 lead.
SECOND GOAL (1-1 - BC) THIRD PERIOD - Austin Cangelosi - 00:25 - EVEN STRENGTH
- Austin Cangelosi put the offense on his back to negate BC's scoreless 40 minutes by scoring 25 seconds into the third period to tie it up. Michael Kim generated the play but sending it out to Matthew Gaudreau on the far wall. Gaudreau connected with Cangelosi in the neutral zone and he brought it behind the net and dished to Gaudreau charging in. He took the shot from in tight and Tyler Wall made the initial save, but Cangelosi curled back and paddled in the rebound at 00:25 to make it 1-1.
THIRD GOAL (2-1 - UML) THIRD PERIOD - Joe Gambardella - 3:26 - EVEN STRENGTH
- The River Hawks reclaimed their one-goal lead shortly after Cangelosi's strike on a turnover in Boston College's end. C.J. Smith jostled the puck free in the far corner to Woll's left and John Edwardh scooped it up behind the net. Joe Gambardella was parked out front with no one in sight and he beat Woll with the quick snapshot after the dish from Edwardh at 3:26 to make it 2-1.
FOURTH GOAL (3-1 - UML) THIRD PERIOD -C.J. Smith - 13:15 - EVEN STRENGTH
- UMass Lowell extended its lead by two when C.J. Smith capped off a play in transition at 13:15. Gambardella pitchforked the puck out of the River Hawks' corner to Edwardh on the sidewall. Edwardh and Smith raced down into BC's end on the 2-on-2 and Smith beat Woll with the quick one-timer feed from Edwardh to make it 3-1.
FIFTH GOAL (4-1 - UML) THIRD PERIOD - Joe Gambardella - 16:31 - EVEN STRENGTH
- Lowell capped off the victory when Gambardella corralled an errant Boston College clearing attempt. Gambardella was the beneficiary of a sailing puck through the neutral zone and he was able to get a step on it and was off to the races on Woll. The initial stop was made but Gambardella stayed with it and roofed the rebound on the near post, up and over with the backhand, at 16:31 to ice the River Hawks' victory, 4-1.
BOSTON COLLEGE GAME LEADERS
Points: Austin Cangelosi (1 - 0 - 1) / Matthew Gaudreau (0 - 1 - 1) / Michael Kim (0 - 1 - 1)
Goals: Austin Cangelosi (1 - 0 - 1)
Assists: Matthew Gaudreau (0 - 1 - 1) / Michael Kim (0 - 1 - 1)
Shots: Ryan Fitzgerald ( 4 )
Faceoffs Won: Austin Cangelosi (12 - of - 22)
UMass Lowell: 1 - for - 5
Boston College: 0 - for - 4
UMass Lowell: 5 - of - 10
Boston College: 6 - of - 12
BOSTON COLLEGE LINES
Cotton - Jul. Mattila - White
Gaudreau - Cangelosi - R. Fitzgerald
Dudek - Booth - Walker
McInnis - Savage
Kim - Moore
Jes. Mattila - C. Fitzgerald
Boston College will close out the regular season tomorrow night, Feb. 24, in Lowell at the Tsongas Center. Game time is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. and will be broadcast live on American Sports Network (will be shown locally on NESN and on TSN2 in Canada).