|1st||7:37||ASU||1-0||EV||Robbie Baillargeon (4)||Wade Murphy/3|
|1st||11:42||NOE||1-1||PP||Adam Gaudette (4)||Garret Cockerill/1, Ryan Ruck/1|
|1st||14:21||NOE||2-1||EV GW||Nolan Stevens (3)||Zach Aston-Reese/5, Jeremy Davies/1|
|1st||15:33||NOE||3-1||EV||Garret Cockerill (1)||Brendan Collier/2, Biagio Lerario/2|
|2nd||16:16||NOE||4-1||EV||Eric Williams (1)||Matt Filipe/1, Brendan Collier/3|
|3rd||5:04||NOE||5-1||EV||Lincoln Griffin (4)||Garret Cockerill/2, Zach Aston-Reese/6|
|3rd||14:50||NOE||6-1||PP||Jeremy Davies (1)||Brendan Collier/4, Eric Williams/2|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Arizona State (1-5-0)||0/8||8/16||0|
|Arizona State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Robert Levin (L, 0-2-0)||59:55||6||12||17||14||43|
|Ryan Ruck (W, 3-1-2)||59:48||1||6||9||6||21|
BOSTON - The No. 17 Northeastern men's ice hockey team (3-1-2) received goals from six different scorers, including three from defensemen, and used a 49-22 shots advantage to complete the weekend sweep of Arizona State (1-5-0) on Saturday night at Matthews Arena, 6-1.
After the Sun Devils drew first blood with a goal from Robbie Baillargeon 7:37 into the game, the Huskies responded with the game's final six goals, including three in a span of four minutes in the opening frame. Adam Gaudette, Nolan Stevens, Garret Cockerill, Eric Williams, Lincoln Griffin and Jeremy Davies all scored over the course of the night for the Huskies, while Brendan Collier contributed a career-high three assists.
The win extends Northeastern's home winning streak to nine games, the longest in team history, while its 12-game unbeaten streak (11-0-1) at home is also the longest such streak in program history.
Ryan Ruck made 21 stops in goal for Northeastern in his six straight start, while Robert Levin was peppered throughout the contest for Arizona State, finishing with 43 saves. NU was 2-of-7 on the man advantage while the Husky penalty killing unit held ASU to an 0-of-8 showing.
- Baillargeon gave the Sun Devils a 1-0 lead less than eight minutes into the game when Arizona State picked off a clearing attempt from the Huskies in their defensive zone. As NU was trying to transition up ice, Wade Murphy intercepted a pass from the corner and knocked it to Baillargeon. Baillargeon then created some space for himself between the hashmarks and roofed a shot over the shoulder of Ruck for his fourth goal of the year and third of the weekend.
- Northeastern netted the equalizer during its second power play opportunity of the first period as Gaudette netted his fourth of the season. As the Huskies quickly moved up ice, Garret Cockerill dropped a pass for Gaudette in the neutral zone. Gaudette then did the rest, flying into the attacking zone and making a quick toe drag before roofing a shot into the top left corner for the score with 8:18 left in the frame.
- The Huskies took their first lead of the night with 5:39 to go in the first as Stevens knocked home his third of the year. With Northeastern controlling the puck in the attacking zone, Jeremy Davies sent it down to Zach Aston-Reese in the atop the crease. Aston-Reese then made a quick move with his stick to redirect the puck across the Stevens on the doorstep, who buried it to give NU a 2-1 edge.
- NU struck again just 1:12 later on Cockerill's first of the year as a result of a great backcheck from Sam Kurker. With ASU attempting to skate the puck out of the zone, Kurker caught up and picked his pocket, leaving the puck for Biagio Lerario. Lerario then found Collier in the corner, who sent a saucer pass up to Cockerill joining the play. Cockerill settled the puck and ripped a wrist shot from the slot that beat Levin shortside.
- The Huskies extended their lead to 4-1 late in the second period on Williams' first of the year. As Northeastern cycled the puck in the attacking zone, Collier found Matt Filipe cutting the net. Filipe then made a quick move around a defenseman before firing a low shot on goal that Levin got a pad on, but Williams but there to bang home the rebound.
- Griffin gave NU a 5-1 edge five minutes into the third period with his second goal of the weekend. Nolan Stevens began the play by chipping the puck out to the point. Aston-Reese got a stick on it, but the puck made it way to Cockerill and the point. He then stepped into a shot that Griffin redirected past Levin for the score.
- Davies got into the action late in regulation with the Huskies on the power play, taking a pass from Brendan Collier and the point and rocketing a shot from just inside the blue line past Levin for his first collegiate goal.
Stats of the game
- Northeastern is now 2-0-0 all-time against Arizona State
- The win extends Northeastern's home winning streak to 11 games, the longest in team history. NU is also 12-0-1 in its last 13 home games, the longest home unbeaten streak in program history.
- Northeastern is now 8-2-3 in its last 13 regular season non-conference games.
- The Huskies have 10 first period goals in their last three games, 25% of their total from all of last year.
- Gaudette has goals in each of his last three games, which ties a career-long. He also has eight points (three goals, five assists) in his last three games.
- Griffin is riding a career-long three-game goal streak.
- Stevens has logged a point in five of Northeastern's six games this season.
- Ruck's assist on Gaudette's first period tally was the first assist for a Northeastern goaltender since Clay Witt against Boston University in the Beanpot on Feb. 23, 2015.
- Collier posted a career-high three assists on Saturday night.
- Davies recorded his first collegiate point with an assist on Stevens' goal.
The road ahead
- Northeastern opens up Hockey East play next Sunday when the Huskies host Vermont at Matthews Arena in a 3 p.m. matinee.