Joey Diamond, Ryan Hegarty and Klas Leidermmark pick up goals in third period for Black Bears

Junior defenseman Ryan Hegarty scored the game-winning goal for the Black Bears

ORONO, Maine - The fifth-ranked University of Maine men's ice hockey team completed its weekend sweep of Northeastern with a 4-2 win over the Huskies on Saturday night at Alfond Arena. The Black Bears scored three third period goals as they overcame a 2-1 deficit after two periods of play. Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) tied the game for Maine 4:19 into the third period, before Ryan Hegarty (Arlington, Mass.) was able to get the game-winner just over two minutes later. Maine moves to 6-1-3 on the season and 4-0-1 in Hockey East play.

The Huskies jumped out to a 1-0 lead 7:23 into the first period as Randy Guzior capitalized on a Maine turnover. Wade MacLeod sent a turn around pass from the right circle to a wide open Tyler McNeely who was streaking through the slot. McNeely sent a wrist shot at the Maine net that snuck by Black Bear goaltender Dan Sullivan (York, Pa.).

The Black Bears would knot the score at one goal each when Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario) lit the lamp for the second night in a row. Maine skated on the power play when captain Tanner House (Coachrane, Alberta) controlled the puck in the Northeastern zone. House would send a puck back to the blue line to Abbott. Abbott settled the puck and skated to the middle of the blue line where he spotted and opening and launched a shot into the back of the Husky net. For Abbott, it was his team-leading eighth goal of the season. Gustav Nyquist (Malmo, Sweden) initially got the puck to Abbott to also earn an assist on the goal.

With 6:25 remaining in the second period, the Huskies forced a turnover in the left circle of the Maine zone. Northeastern gathered the puck and fired a point blank shot towards the Maine net. Sullivan stood tall, making a quick reflex save to keep the game tied.

After Maine's Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) clanged a shot off the Northeastern post, the Huskies would pick up the rebound and head out on an odd-man-rush. McNeely would gather the rebound and send a pass to Steve Silva. Silva would spread the ice and carry the puck into the Maine zone. Silva sent a pass cross ice to MacLeod who beat Sullivan for his fourth goal of the season, putting Northeastern up 2-1.

The Black Bears would battle back with three third period goals to take a 4-2 lead. Joey Diamond would get the scoring started for Maine when he tied the score at two goals a piece, cashing in for his sixth goal of the season. While skating 4-on-4, the Mike Banwell (Scarborough, Ontario) slid a pass to Flynn. Flynn would send the puck around the boards to the back of the net where Diamond collected the pass. Diamond skated out to the left post and stuff the puck through Northeastern goaltender Chris Rawling's five-hole.

The Black Bears took their first lead of the game when Ryan Hegarty (Arlington, Mass.) notched his first goal of the season. Matt Mangene (Manorville, N.Y.) skated into the Northeastern zone and fired a shot from the slot on Rawlings. Rawlings made the save but the puck bounced out in front where Hegarty was trailing the play. Hegarty was able to slap the puck past Rawlings to give Maine a 3-2 lead. Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) also assisted on the goal.

Maine would extend its lead at 12:22 into the third period when Klas Leidermark (Gavle, Sweden) scored his first goal of the season. Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) and Mike Cornell (Franklin, Mass.) teamed up to get the play started. Cornell a shot on net that Rawlings saved. Leidermark would collect the rebound in the slot and chip a shot that snuck through the crowd and past Rawlings to give Maine a 4-2 lead that they would not relinquish.

Sullivan picked up his fourth win of the season and now stands at 4-1-1 after making 17 saves in net for the Black Bears. Rawlings made 35 saves for Northeastern and sees his record sip to 1-6-2.

Northeastern falls to 1-7-2 on the season and 1-4-1 in Hockey East play. Maine held a commanding 40-19 advantage in shots on goal in the game. The Black Bears were 1-for-9 on the power play, while Northeastern was scoreless in five chances.

The Black Bears return to action on Friday, Nov. 19 when they travel to Boston College. Puck drop is schedule for 7 PM. The two teams will then have Saturday off before completing their two-game series on Sunday afternoon. Maine returns home when it hosts New Hampshire on Dec. 10. Tickets remain for the game and can be purchased by calling the Black Bears ticket office at 207-581-BEAR or 1-800-756-TEAM.