Sophomore Pierce Norton has goal and assist for Friars

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Junior Jon Rheault's (Deering, N.H.) short-handed goal early in the third period proved to be the difference as the Providence College men's hockey team (4-8-1, 3-5-1 Hockey East) defeated UMass Lowell (3-6-3, 2-4-2 Hockey East), 4-2, Friday night at Schneider Arena.

The Friars scored in each of the first two periods and carried a 2-0 lead into the third period. Sophomore Pierce Norton (South Boston, Mass.) opened the scoring at 11:43 on the power play as he weaved his way into the slot before rifling a wrist shot past UML goalie Carter Hutton. Sophomore Cody Wild (North Providence, R.I.) and freshman Chris Eppich (Surrey, B.C.) assisted on the play. Freshman Mark Fayne (Sagamore Beach, Mass.) added to PC's lead at 7:56 of the second period taking advantage of rebound in front and tucking the puck into the empty net.

The third period featured a four-goal flurry. Just 52 seconds into the third, the River Hawks cut PC's lead in half as Kory Falite scored his fourth goal of the season. Falite fired a wrist shot from the right face off circle that was pushed aside by PC goalie Tyler Sims (Grand Blanc, Mich.). However, Jason Tejchma controlled the puck before setting up Falite in front. Just over two minutes later, the Friars were whistled for a penalty and the River Hawks were primed to score the equalizer, however, the Friars were the ones who benefited from being a man down. Senior Tony Zancanaro (Trenton, Mich.) cleared the puck into the UML end and Rheault raced up the ice and gained possession of the puck behind the River Hawk net. Rheault then eluded his defender and skated to the front of the net before firing a backhanded shot past Hutton at 4:05 as the Friars regained their two-goal lead (3-1). Senior Bryan Horan (Farmington, Conn.) gave the Friars a 4-1 cushion at 11:07 when he skated into the UML zone and unleashed a wrist shot that found the top right corner of the net. For Horan, it marked his first tally this season. However, 45 seconds later the River Hawks made the score 4-2 when J.R. Bria scored off a face-off with the assist going to Tejchma.

In goal, Sims stopped a season-high 34 shots, while Hutton and Nevin Hamilton combined to make 27 saves for the River Hawks. The Friars are back in action on Sunday, November 26 when they take on Brown University in the 21st annual Mayor's Cup. The game, which will take place at Brown's Meehan Auditorium, will begin at 2:00 p.m.