Freshman Brad Thiessen makes 45 saves for Huskies

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Northeastern upset sixth-ranked Michigan, 3-2, behind a great goaltending performance from freshman Brad Thiessen at Yost Arena on Saturday to split the weekend series with the Wolverines. Thiessen made 45 saves, including 18 on power plays while Randy Guzior, Jimmy Russo and Chad Costello each scored for Northeastern. The Huskies improve to 2-3-1 overall with the victory while Michigan drops to 4-2-0.

The Huskies' penalty kill was outstanding, holding Michigan's high-powered offense scoreless on 12 opportunities and generating several short-handed scoring opportunities. Down 1-0 entering the second, Northeastern scored a pair of goals and Thiessen made 20 saves in the second to get the Huskies into the lead.

The Huskies got on the board at in the second when Guzior found the net. Northeastern defenseman Andrew Linard, a native of nearby Brighton, Mich., got the puck when a Michigan player tried to clear it and Linard took a shot from the right point. McCauley got a stick on it and deflected it to Guzior in front of the crease and Guzior buried it at 5:06 for his second goal of the season.

After Guzior's goal, Michigan's Jason Bailey was called for goaltender interference at 5:26 to get the Huskies a power-play opportunity. The Huskies cycled the puck with McCauley feeding it to freshman defenseman Jim Driscoll in the middle. Driscoll fired a shot on net and Russo collected the rebound and shot it past Sauer to make it 2-1 at 7:24 in the second. It was Russo's first goal of the season and Driscoll's first career point. Through the remainder of the second period, Northeastern held Michigan scoreless on three power plays.

The Huskies made it 3-1 on Costello's first career goal in the third period. With the Huskies on a power play, Guzior got the puck behind the net and passed it to senior Mike Morris, who fed Costello in the slot. Costello fired the puck over the shoulder of Michigan goaltender Billy Sauer at 10:44 in the third.

Michigan pressed hard to make up ground through the end of the third period. Michigan won a faceoff in the Northeastern zone and Kevin Porter potted a goal with assists from Jason Dest and T.J. Hensick to make it 3-2 at 16:36. It was Porter's third goal of the weekend after he scored the game-winner in overtime on Friday night. Michigan pulled its goalie in the final minute of the third and pressed hard but the Huskies consistently cleared the puck to preserve the win.

Michigan took a 1-0 lead on a Jack Johnson goal at 7:49 in the first. Johnson got ahead of the play on a pass from Hensick and shot the puck at Thiessen. Thiessen made the initial save but the rebound went back to Johnson, who beat Thiessen with his second shot. Johnson got a five-minute major for fighting and a game-misconduct in the second period.

Northeastern is back in action next weekend when the Huskies travel to Durham, N.H. to take on New Hampshire on Friday night and then host the Wildcats on Saturday at Matthews Arena. Both games are at 7 p.m. and will be carried live on 890 ESPN Boston and WRBB, 104.9 FM.