Mike Morris has two goals and assist in loss

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Northeastern University took No. 6 Michigan into overtime but fell, 4-3, when Kevin Porter deflected the puck for a goal at 1:11 in OT at Yost Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Friday night. Huskies captain Mike Morris had a breakout game with two goals and an assist, all on power plays, while senior defenseman Steve Birnstill had a power-play goal and an assist. Freshmen Chad Costello and Kyle Kraemer each recorded two assists.

Northeastern will look to split the series on Saturday night at Yost Arena. The Huskies fell to 1-3-1 overall with the loss while Michigan improved to 4-1-0.

Michigan took the first lead of the game on a power play in the first period. With NU's Randy Guzior in the penalty box for obstruction-hooking, the Wolverines' T.J. Hensick got a pass across the middle to an open David Rohlfs, who shot the puck into the corner of the net at 4:08 for his fourth goal of the season.

It was the Huskies on the power play in the ensuing minutes. With Jack Johnson in the penalty box for cross checking, Hensick was called for tripping at 16:51, giving the Huskies a 5-on-3 for 1:30. The Huskies capitalized with crisp passing on the power play, as Mike Morris got a pass from the middle to Kyle Kraemer on the left and Kraemer got a pass off to Birnstill on the right point. Birnstill took the puck in and shot it past Michigan goalie Billy Sauer on his glove side for his first goal of the season at 15:24 in the second period.

Michigan took a 2-1 lead early in the second period before Morris broke out for two goals in a row. On a power play, Michigan's Porter scored at 4:02 on a pass from Hensick from behind the net on the left side.

Morris came through with his first two goals of the season, both on power plays. With the Huskies on a 5-on-3, Northeastern once again cycled the puck effectively. Birnstill passed the puck to Costello, who fed Morris and Morris shot it in at 7:04. The Huskies stayed on the power play as Michigan's Tim Miller was called for cross checking at the time of the goal.

Morris scored again at 8:51 in the second. Costello passed the puck out from behind the net to Kraemer on the left side and Kraemer fed Morris in the middle. Morris took a slapshot through the defense and past Sauer to give the Huskies their first lead of the night, 3-2. Ryan Ginand had a chance to score another for the Huskies on a breakaway, but Sauer made a great pad save on his shot at 12:45.

Michigan wasn't through, however, and evened it at 3-3 before the end of the second. Michigan slapped the puck around in the Northeastern zone and the Huskies couldn't clear it as time wound down in the period. Michigan's Andrew Cogliano got the puck to Chad Kolarik and Kolarik netted it at 19:55 to tie the game.

The third period went scoreless despite excellent scoring chances by both teams. Northeastern's penalty kill came up big, holding Michigan scoreless on three power plays in the frame. The Huskies came up empty on one advantage. NU's Joe Vitale took a slashing penalty at 19:24, giving the Wolverines a power play for 1:19 of the overtime period.

Northeastern stifled Michigan's scoring attempts in the first minute of overtime, but the Wolverines broke free on Porter's goal. Johnson took a slapshot from the right point that Porter was able to deflect high for the goal at 1:11.

Northeastern goalie Brad Thiessen made 27 saves in the game while Sauer made 20.

Northeastern takes on Michigan for the second and final game of the series on Saturday at Yost Arena at 7:35 p.m. The game will be carried on WRBB Radio, 104.9 FM and with Josh Heller and Keith Lavon.