No. 3 Providence vs. No. 9/8 UMass Lowell- Fri. 1/22 at PC, Sat. 1/23 at UML
- Providence currently sits six points behind UMass Lowell in the Hockey East standings in the fourth spot. Last weekend, the Friars came away with a weekend sweep of Vermont at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
- Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) led the way offensively for the Friars in Friday night's 3-1 victory, recording a goal and two assists. Pinho is on a five game point streak with a 2-7-9 stat line in that stretch.
- Providence exploded offensively Saturday night for a 6-3 victory to cap the sweep of the Catamounts. Five different Friar skaters had multi-point games, including Warrior Player of the Week Trevor Mingoia (Fairport, N.Y.), who tallied two goals and two assists and totaled five points on the weekend including the game-winning goal in both games.
- UMass Lowell retains the top spot in Hockey East after a weekend sweep of UMass. Gage Hough (Omaha, Neb.) led the way for the River Hawks, scoring three times in two contests. The River Hawks won Friday night, 4-1, at the Mullins Center, pushed along by two C.J Smith (Des Moines, Iowa) assists.
- Kevin Boyle (Manalapan, N.J.) capped the sweep of the Minutemen with a 5-0 shutout victory at the Tsongas Center. Boyle stopped 18 shots for his sixth shutout on the year, tied for the most in a single-season in River Hawks history.
No. 5/4 Boston College vs. UMass/vs. UConn - Fri. 1/22 at UMass, Sat. 1/23 at UConn
- Jerry York sits one win away from 1,000 career victories after picking up win number 999 against Boston University, 5-3, at Conte Forum last Friday. Ian McCoshen (Hudson, Wisc.) had a career night, tallying two goals and two assists for four points. McCoshen now has at least one point in four straight games, racking up three goals and four assists in that stretch.
- The Eagles skated to a 1-1 draw at Agganis Arena on Saturday. Ryan Fitzgerald (North Reading, Mass.) scored the only Eagle goal in that contest. Fitzgerald has points in four straight tilts with a 2-5-7 stat line.
- UMass was swept last weekend in a series with No. 8 UMass Lowell. The Minuteman fell to the River Hawks, 4-1, Friday night at the Mullins Center, and than 5-0, at the Tsongas Center on Saturday. UMass is currently in a three-way tie for eighth place in Hockey East, the final position to host a playoff game on opening weekend.
- Shane Walsh (West Roxbury, Mass.) scored the lone Minuteman goal on the weekend.
No. 11 Boston University vs. Maine- Fri. 1/22 at BU, Sat. 1/23 at ME
- Boston University currently sits at fifth in the Hockey East standings, trailing Providence by two points for a first round playoff bye after taking one point from Boston College. Rookie Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (Stockholm, Sweden) netted a goal and dished out an assist in Friday night's 5-3 loss at Conte Forum. Goaltender Sean Maguire (Powell River, B.C.) made 32 saves in the contest, including 16 in the third period.
- Maguire followed that up with a strong performance Saturday at Agganis Arena. The senior goaltender made 38 saves to backbone the Terriers to a 1-1 tie. Matt Grzelcyk (Charlestown, Mass.) netted the only Terrier goal in the draw.
- Maine battled it out with the Huskies of Connecticut last weekend in a defensive series at Alfond Arena. The Black Bears fell to UConn Friday night, 1-0, and skated to a 1-1 tie Saturday. Steven Swavely (Reading, Pa.) scored the only Maine goal in the series, netting a short-handed strike.
- Maine was back in action early this week and battled top ranked Quinnipiac all the way to wire. Three Maine goals in the first two periods gave the Black Bears a 3-1 lead, but the Bobcats battled back to salvage a 3-3 draw in the final minute. Swavely and Nolan Vesey (North Reading, Mass.) opened the scoring for Maine in the first period while Brendan Robbins (Nashua, N.H.) netted a goal and added assist.
No.13 Notre Dame vs. New Hampshire - Fri. 1/22, Sat. 1/23 at UNH
- Notre Dame's unbeaten streak reached an NCAA-best 10 games (7-0-3) last weekend after a sweep of Merrimack in South Bend. The Irish now sit third in the Hockey East standings with 18 points. Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week Bobby Nardella (Rosemont, Ill.) paced the Irish offense, tallying two goals and three assists for five points and a plus-six rating.
- Jake Evans (Toronto, Ont.) had a hand in three of Notre Dame's five goals Saturday evening, dishing out three helpers for the second time this season. Evans now has 23 points on four goals and 19 assists.
- New Hampshire was swept by Northeastern last weekend and is now in a three-way tie for the eighth spot, the final position that boasts home ice in the opening round of the Hockey East Tournament.
- Marcus Vela (Burnaby, B.C.) found the net three times for the Wildcats on the weekend, scoring twice in Friday's 4-2 loss, and converting another chance in Saturday's 6-2 setback at the Whittemore Center.
Northeastern vs. Merrimack - Fri. 1/22 at MC, Sat. 1/23 at NU
- Northeastern picked up its fourth victory in a row Saturday and is now unbeaten in its last six games (5-0-1).
- Dylan Sikura (Aurora, Ont.) found the back of the net three times for the Huskies on the weekend, scoring twice in Friday's 4-2 victory at Matthews Arena. In his next outing, Sikura delivered another goal in Saturday's 6-2 victory at New Hampshire.
- Sam Kurker (Reading, Mass.) exploded offensively for the Huskies Saturday night, recording his second multi-point game of the season on two goals and two assists.
- Merrimack fell twice to Notre Dame last weekend in South Bend. Brian Christie (West Chester, Pa.) dished out two assists in Friday's 7-2 loss at the hands of Notre Dame. Collin Delia (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) made 40 saves in Saturday's 5-1 setback.
- Merrimack (2-5-5) sits in the seventh slot in the Hockey East standings with nine points in league contests. The Warriors' position sets up an important weekend against the surging Northeastern Huskies (2-8-3), who have taken five points in its last four league games and are two points back of Merrimack.
UConn vs. Vermont/vs. No.5/4 Boston College - Friday 1/22 at UConn, Saturday 1/23 at BC
- Connecticut came away with three out of four points at Maine last weekend. The Huskies were backboned by Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week Rob Nichols, who made 82 saves on the weekend and allowed just one goal. Nichols stopped a career high 44 shots in Friday's 1-0 victory at Alfond Arena.
- Shawn Pauly (Bellingham, Wash.) scored the lone UConn goal in Friday's 1-0 win. The senior forward now has four goals and eight assists for 12 points on the year. Max Letunov (Moscow, Russia) netted the game-tying goal in the third period of Saturday's 1-1 draw, giving the freshman his ninth goal and team-leading 25th point on the year.
- Only two points separate UConn and Vermont in the Hockey East standings. The Huskies (4-7-2) sit in sixth with 10 points while the Catamounts (3-7-2) are in a three-way tie for eighth with eight points.
Vermont vs. UConn/vs. UMass - Fri. 1/22 at UConn, Sat. 1/23 at UMass
- Vermont was swept in a weekend series with Providence last weekend. The Catamounts fell to the Friars Friday night, 3-1. Brendan Bradley (Richboro, Pa.) scored the only Catamount game in the contest.
- Mario Puskarich (Fort Walton Beach, Fla.) netted his sixth goal of the year in Saturday's 6-3 defeat, giving the junior forward his team-leading 20th point of the year. Puskarich has now tallied points in four straight tilts.
- Vermont (3-7-2) and UMass (2-7-4) are tied for the eighth spot with eight points a piece.