PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College women's hockey defeated the University of Maine Black Bears 4-0 in a shutout game on Friday, Dec. 18 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 4 | Maine - 0
Providence: 6-0-1 (6-0-1 HE) | Maine: 3-2-0 (3-2-0 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) put the friars up 1-0 with 12:50 remaining in the first period on the penalty kill. Rice was assisted by Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden).
- Rice returned just five minutes later with her second goal of the night, furthering Providence's lead to 2-0. Rice's second goal of the night was her fifth of the season. She was assisted by Hjalmarsson and Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.).
- Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario) scored a point with less than a minute remaining in the opening stanza to clench a 3-0 lead over the Black Bears. On her first goal of the season, Hardy was assisted by Hjalmarsson and Brooke Becker (Orchard Park, N.Y.) The assist served as Hjalmarsson's third of the night, and sixth of the season.
- After a quiet middle frame, freshman Brooke Becker added a tally to the Friars' lead late in the third period with the second goal of her career. Becker was assisted by Bailey Burton (Bloomington, Minn.) and Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.).
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) finished the night with 23 saves, helping the Friars to their second shutout game of the year.
Power plays: 1/4
Penalty kill: 5/5
Power plays: 0/5
Penalty kill: 3/4
The Friars meet University of Maine again tomorrow (Dec. 19) at Schneider Arena. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m.